Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 PM

sorry for the confussion.
I have a 03 and want to know what i need to connect my two 12" subs, an amp and a new stereo.
The dvd system is seperate from the stereo and runs the audio through a FM transmitter

Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 PM

ok, well, im assuming you will use the amp for the subs.

first you have to understand how the stock system works for the 01-06 mitsubishi montero (if not most mitsus from mid 90s to mid 00s)

the premium inifinity system comes with a stock amp. this stock amp is the ins and outs of the entire car. the crossover to the tweeters are BUILT IN to this amp. there was a difference in wiring after 02, but this wont apply so i wont mention it.

basically, good you have a new story, but guess what happens if you install the stereo with the usual install.. YOUR TWEETERS WONT WORK. why, again because the xover is built into the stock amp. if you disable the amp, no tweeters.

so what do you do now. make sure you get the CORRECT WIRING HARNESS. it is a MITAH WIRING HARNESS. one end will be proprietary din cable end, and the other end will have 2 pairs of rca cables and a blue wire for remote turn on.

its plug and play and you just connect the blue wire to your new stereo's amp wire.

this means the stock amp is in place to amplify your speakers meaning tweeters are in play.

so why is this a downside? because it means you are not utilizing your new stereo's power. what sounds better? you cant get a good comparison unless you get professional tools to measure actual RMS output between the 2. IF you do an ear test, your EARS will tell you using the MITAH adapter and stock amp combo sounds better, why? because MORE SPEAKERS ARE WORKING. if you just use the ordinary wiring harness with all those wires, yes you will be using your new stereo's power, but remember no dash speakers..

UNLESS you wire it separately, which means possibly running new wires, and you have to make sure you have bass blocker or a passover.. better yet a COMPONENT SPEAKER SYSTEM.

THE NICE THING, if you utilize the mitah adapter.. NOT ONLY does the stock amp power the tweeters, IT ALSO POWERS THAT STOCK SUB IN THE REAR DRIVER SIDE. so you will have some more bass--assuming you installed the adapter/harness properly.

the MITAH adapter is also the "EASIEST" for you if your not familiar.

as for your new subs, simple. if your new stereo has a separate RCAs for subwoofer use those, IF NOT, you will ahve to use the rear channel output, BUT if you use the MITAH adapter it will use the REAR as well.. to power your rear speakers. you'll have to split it. ive done it with friends' setups, no problem

as for the DVD system. fm transmitter, anything like that sucks, signal may cut in and out and quality is terrible. i dont know how that system looks and the ins and outs, but i would try to wire it directly if possible.

maybe your stereo has audio INPUT in the back so you can do a clean install. if not i dont know. your stuck keeping that independent and just using the fm transmitter.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 PM

My stock sub crapped out a while back. I cheated and bought one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KICKER-TCVT8...ht_1594wt_1398 It's about the size of a shoe box. It sounds very good. It seems to enhance the whole stereo. For $89.50 shipped to my door I can hardly complain.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM

thanks that helps alot
is it necessary for me to use an after market deck/stereo or can i keep the stock one and use it with the amp and subs?

also, you mentioned that there was a change after '02 and i have a '03, whats the difference?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by efreestylez5
thanks that helps alot
is it necessary for me to use an after market deck/stereo or can i keep the stock one and use it with the amp and subs?

also, you mentioned that there was a change after '02 and i have a '03, whats the difference?
dont worry about the 02 and 03 change, its the same. its only internal wiring circuitry on the amp. it wont apply to what you are trying to do. so the setup in general from 01-06 USDM MONTERO are the same. forget i mentioned it

to answer your question. NO its not necessary to get a new deck, you just need the Mitsubishi MITAH stereo harness adapter. do a search on it for google.

that harness can be reversed. usually its used to connect a new stereo to the stock amp, but if you reverse it, it works to connect an aftermarket amp with stock deck. but guess what, you will have to have a the amp power everything including all your speakers meaning more wiring for you.

this is useless and a waste, and just a question of WHY. you will waste time and money on new equipment yet leaving in the stock crappy deck.

ok, so you dont want to do that still wire in subs and keep the stock stuff in tact?

do not fret, there is yet another wiring option.. this is the "GHETTO" way. the i just got my first car in high school method and all i care is loud bass and nothing about balance and quality method..

so you got your new amp to power your new subs.. look at your amp there should be whats called "HIGH LEVEL INPUTS" you TAP your REAR speakers into this.. then install other wires, and remote turn on and yoru sub and your set. wont

but the hardpart, WHERE will you tap the rear speakers. you'll have to dig through and find the wire. of course its in the doors, but how are you gonna run the wire from the door without showing, except digging through the wiring bundle..

another method is finding the rear speaker channel from the stock amp and tap the wire there, obviously closer because its in the rear driver side wall. but this means YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE A LOT OF INTERIOR PLASTICS.. I MEAN A LOT! how do i know? because by now you should know ive done full out stereo installs on the 3rd gen montero (01-06) if you are gonna do that much labor on installing plastics just to tap, sheesh. its a hassle.

so i gave you pretty much all your options man..

Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Oh man, this is depressing... I just started to research replacing the rear sub and now I am here. Has anyone just cut through the front replaced with a larger speaker or grill to cover the hole?

Yes, I am lazy.

No, I do not care about having astounding audio in my car, I just don't want blown speaker noise.

Last edited by Skidmarkart; 02-29-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM

most people wont because it will look.. "ghetto"

but if you want to do it that way you will have to cut and how you are going to cover it up to look half way decent i dont know.

it is tedious to remove the plastics to "properly" get to the stock sub. you have to remove the 3rd row, remove that floor panel, remove side panel, i think weather trim to pry the panel off. its quite a job. i can do it no problem cause its not the first,

but if someone ask me to do it for them. esp "free", the type of work comes down to this reaction:

"sigh"

Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Default 2002 mitsubisshi montero sport xls help!!!!!

can any one tell me were the stock infinity amp is plz help!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:54 PM

please help me...I Have not got owners manual...I can't go to the dealer...I live in republic of Georgia..and I bought this car from USA...only i have this information..and if it posible I want to find radio CODE...I need radio code...to unlock it... radio serial nomber is: 99D65061 radio model:MR490090 my car vin code is: JA4MW51R21J033971

Old 12-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Default mitsubishi montero limited

please help me...I Have not got owners manual...I can't go to the dealer...I live in republic of Georgia..and I bought this car from USA...only i have this information..and if it posible I want to find radio CODE...I need radio code...to unlock it... radio serial nomber is: 99D65061 radio model:MR490090 my car vin code is: JA4MW51R21J033971

Quick Reply: Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero