Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Default 01 Monty subwoofer & passenger tweeter blown

Can anyone give me the proper replacement parts that will fit my Infinty Syst?
Size, specs...approximate cost of the parts and where I might purchase. Auto sound shop wants about $700 to do it. I want to buy the parts and have a friend who knows car audio give it a go. thxs
btw/ does anyone have the diagrams or manual for the 01. I would like to buy one.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:17 PM

I'm replacing the subwoofer in my 2002 Montero Limited and need to know which wire is positive and which is negative.

The colors are yellow/red and gray/red

Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by spinalcracker
I'm replacing the subwoofer in my 2002 Montero Limited and need to know which wire is positive and which is negative.

The colors are yellow/red and gray/red
Heres the schematics for it. The yellow and red is positive.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-04-18-15-54-44_zpso5gjo4rt.png
Views: 2152
Size:  113.2 KB

You can get a speaker adapter on amazon for like $13 if you dont wanna tap into the factory harness.

The speaker adapter is just a general mitsu/toyota speaker adapter.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by jhill15
Heres the schematics for it. The yellow and red is positive.

You can get a speaker adapter on amazon for like $13 if you dont wanna tap into the factory harness.

The speaker adapter is just a general mitsu/toyota speaker adapter.
I'm also replacing the blown subwoofer in my 2002 Montero Limited with the Infinity premium sound system. Is the wiring the same? Red/yellow=positive and the gray/red=negative?

The original poster Ironchef2014 had the subwoofer wiring reversed based on the service manual for a 2004 Montero Limited. Here is the wiring he got from the service manual.

Red/Blue: Left Tweeter (+)
Orange/Blue: Left Tweeter (-)
Blue/Red: Right Tweeter (+)
Green/Red: Right Tweeter (-)
Black/Red: Right Front Door (-)
White/Red: Right Front Door (-)
White/Blue: Left Front Door (+)
Black/Blue: Left Front Door (-)
Grey/Red: Right Rear Door (-)
Yellow/Red: Right Rear Door (+) **Pin number 9
Yellow/Blue: Left Rear Door (+)
Green/Blue: Left Rear Door (-)
Yellow/Red: Subwoofer (-) **Pin number 8
Grey/Red: Subwoofer (+)

Is there a difference in the wiring for the 2002 vs the 2004 Montero Limited with the Infinity System? I just installed an 8" Kicker with custom mount to fit cavity but I'm second guessing the wiring now.

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hatchet
I'm also replacing the blown subwoofer in my 2002 Montero Limited with the Infinity premium sound system. Is the wiring the same? Red/yellow=positive and the gray/red=negative?

The original poster Ironchef2014 had the subwoofer wiring reversed based on the service manual for a 2004 Montero Limited. Here is the wiring he got from the service manual.

Red/Blue: Left Tweeter (+)
Orange/Blue: Left Tweeter (-)
Blue/Red: Right Tweeter (+)
Green/Red: Right Tweeter (-)
Black/Red: Right Front Door (-)
White/Red: Right Front Door (-)
White/Blue: Left Front Door (+)
Black/Blue: Left Front Door (-)
Grey/Red: Right Rear Door (-)
Yellow/Red: Right Rear Door (+) **Pin number 9
Yellow/Blue: Left Rear Door (+)
Green/Blue: Left Rear Door (-)
Yellow/Red: Subwoofer (-) **Pin number 8
Grey/Red: Subwoofer (+)

Is there a difference in the wiring for the 2002 vs the 2004 Montero Limited with the Infinity System? I just installed an 8" Kicker with custom mount to fit cavity but I'm second guessing the wiring now.

Thanks.
YES! These schematics and also verbal confirmation pretty much confirms it.

I have a 2002 and was going off a schematic from 2003+ (the year it was face lifted) we all would have imagined everything to be mostly the same except the engine and few other things, but there was indeed a slight change in the car audio.

They might have used an updated amp. Very similar but there were some changes. It has been a while. All I remember was my harness going to the stock amp did not have separate leads to the tweeters, where as the 03+ diagram did. For the most part if I recall everything else was the same, unless there was another variation.

You can use the 9v battery speaker test to confirm if you are unsure. just google that it will show you.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:27 PM

Thanks for all the good notes on this PITA project. My sub gave up the ghost tonight, it sounds like a broke solder joint or loose connection to my ears. I'll post a write up if I can keep my sanity intact throughout the job.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Ok so I realize that this thread is very old but info on this topic is quite limited so some help would be much appreciated. I just purchased a 02 Montero limited I am improving the sound system myself bit by bit but here's my problem: after reading this ENTIRE thread twice I am still unsure how to go about replacing the deck. I've purchased an inexpensive one that should fit in the existing slot however I do not want to lose the tweeters. I dont much care about the factory sub as it is blown and I will b replacing it with an aftermarket sub/amp combo later on. So I'm wondering will I be able to rewire the new deck into the stock radio harnesses and it still power the tweeters? I have the infinity stock system still in it and I dont have replacement speakers yet. I intend to use the stock speakers until I find ones that I like. Also does the stock amp power all 7 speakers on the 02 limited I'm not sure?

Old 05-15-2020, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by redturboeclipse
STOCK INFINITY SYSTEM!
the only way your aftermarket deck powers the speakers is if you used those wires, which is not really the optimal way because that means you totally cut out the stock sub and the tweeters because the xover is built into the stock amp.

yes i am pretty much an expert with the mitsubishi audio system for the mid to early 00 vehicles
An expert is kinda what I need right now

Old 05-16-2020, 09:14 AM

Hi, Macgyver. I'm not much of a poster here but I hope this helps. I have a 2001 Limited I replaced the stereo in a few months ago. I followed this thread from Expedition Portal (apologies to the mods in advance if I'm not allowed to post links to other sites).

So, when I first installed the new stereo, a Pioneer double din unit, it worked great with all the speakers working fine, including the tweeters. The piece you need is the Metra 70-7003, which includes the adapter that will connect to the amp power connector in the truck. Like I said, this all worked great...for a while. See post #31 in the thread above for what happened to me.

Oh, that Metra piece is available from many places. I bought mine from Amazon. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Hi Dentar. I just acquired the Metra 7003 adapter and the deck works just fine now I'm not installing a double din as I like the cubby space. However after hooking up the new unit using the 7003 adapter it plays fine until I turn up the volume. Let some bass kick in and then a horrible interference starts. Sounds like when you touch the rca cable with your finger while its playing I've checked all my connections and nothing is grounded besides the black wire. Not sure what is causing it mabey amp is no good? Subwoofer in the back is way blown too but I don't think that would cause interference in all the speakers would it?

Quick Reply: Installing Car Audio Stereo System Subwoofer In 01-06 Montero