Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

jhills 03 ltd build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Man that is sweet! I havent had the extra money to get one yet, I was thinking of going double din but I havent decided yet. Im gonna have to get some repairs fixed "lower ball joints" before I get one.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:04 PM

so jhills, i started checking out this forum and found that you sold your xterra and got into a montero. any regrets? I started out looking at an xterra and started looking into any and all possible suv available. i stumbled on the montero and now i have to have it. i've liked the xterra since they came out and always wanted one but now i've seen the montero and i think that looks like the one for me. what made you want to get rid of the X and get into the M?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 AM

Hey Rather, sometimes I have regrets only because my X was in prestine condition and my montero needs some catching up mechanically. The main reasons I got out of the Xterra was the lack of power...not that the monty has any more but it just feels like it does on take off etc..., the 2000-2004 xterras only offer an upgraded limited slip diff with 4.9 gear ratio and 4.6 on the open rear diff, the only option to lock would be an arb or a lokka, as where the monty limited "not xls or sport" has a center diff lock 4.3 gears. Before my X I owned a land rover d2 the monty has all the features of a rover minus hdc and head gasket issues...oh and the drive shaft splitting the tranny lol. Also the monty comes standard with 3rd row seating which the Xterra never did. One of the real issues I have with montero is not of the rig itself its of the lack of internet help, nissan and rovers are widely used as offroad machines thus having a large following and forumsm. The monty is a hidden gem and has been turned into a mall runner or curb hopper as a result of poor marketing from mitsubishi. However the montero is widely used across the globe as an offroading machine and having won the dakar 15 times I think here in the u.s. many people just over look it as being built out of the box to be just as capable offroad as many other 4x4's if not better.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 AM

What I am finding out about the montero that I wish I knew before I bought it. I thought that they all came with a limited slip diff and now know that they did not. The 01-02 came with it but no way to disable the traction control unless in 4llc the 2003-2006 have the option of limited slip as an upgrade...make sure you check the rear diff for the lsd stamp to make sure, and I could be wrong but im pretty sure I have an open diff...I will find out today when I jack it up but it does have a switch to turn the traction control off, which is great when off the beaten path.

Things to watch out for is the flashing 4x4 lights...ive had a time with those.
Valve cover gaskets leaking
make sure the timing belt has been changed

And all the other things that you look out for when buying used.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:12 PM

thanks for the all the info! from what i've seen these look to be a very reliable vehicle and can be had at a decent price, even though it looks like i may have to travel a bit to get what i'm looking for.

one more thing, do you run premium fuel? i've seen that it is "recommended" but not "required"

Last edited by rathr.b.cruisin; 06-30-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 PM

So far its been a good truck, and I hear a lot of people having to travel to find a decent one, I drove 3 1/2 hours to get mine. I wish I would have taken to a mitsubishi dealer and paid to have them inspect it before I bought it, but none the less im happy with it and the wife and both love it, I cant wait to mod it and she loves to drive it.

I personally run mid grade through it and dont have any issues.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Ended up bedlining my grill and bumper today. Im gonna finish the rest of the trim in sections as time for myself is few and far between.

Name:  20140706_154718_zps44h1w4un.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  20140706_164532_zps1lnbzbos.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  20140706_164353_zpsu4j3iysn.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  120.2 KB

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 PM

I'll be stealing your idea, i never tought of bedlining the front end of my truck.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Sweet!!! Post up some pics when you get it done. One thing I suggest is to remove your front bumper cover and paint it off the truck. I should have done that but decided not to last minute, it would have made it alot easier. Also I would use roll on bed liner as opposed to spray on. I will be doing the rest of the trim and rear bumper in duplicolor with DuPont kevlar instead of the rustolium. Also when I do the rest of it I plan on cutting off those ugly mud flaps on the front bumper and putting another coat of bedliner except I will use the duplicolor this time.

Cheers!!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Been a while since I have posted on my build. Unfortunately I dont have any updates. Just wanted to bump this up. I will say that I have been looking into ome lifts and wheel spacers but more than likely will be tax refund items....unless I win the lottery lol

Quick Reply: jhills 03 ltd build thread