Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Just refill recharge my own AC on 01-06 Montero (not sport) using kit from Walmart

Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Thumbs up Just refill recharge my own AC on 01-06 Montero (not sport) using kit from Walmart

My 2002 Montero Limited (not Montero Sport) air condition was not getting that cool.

Most places charge $50-60 + the freon. So it results to usually $100. At least around my area.

I had purchased one of those Interdynamics refill bottles before at Walmart for my other vehicle. I was unsuccessful because the low port (which you use to charge) was too low for the short hose to reach without properly being able to maneuver the can/trigger.

Thankfully on the 2001-2006 Montero (can't say for the Montero Sport), it is very convenient. It's right there along the driver side firewall.

So I head to Walmart again. To note, Walmart actually does have the cheapest prices on anything if compared to anywhere else that might sell it, even an Auto store such as Kragen, Autozone, etc.

The kit was from Interdynamics
http://www.id-usa.com/

This was the one I used
http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=28&PID=218

It cost $35 and came with 3 cans of the cold stuff, about 12oz each can. The dispenser hose and gauge, and r134a retrofit for those using it on old cars. It also came with some CD/DVD with how-to instructions. It also came with paper instructions as well. It's a simple enough process where just reading was fine.

There was a 24oz "ARTIC FREEZE" with just refill and gauge for $29. Supposedly this line of product resulted in colder air and achieving it much faster. I opted for paying a little bit more for a lot more freon.

So using the supplied gauge I measured the current level--you must have the AC on full blast. The result was barely a few PSi. It was close to empty.

So I screw in the bottle, and continue to trigger some freon in the system until the gauge read at an acceptable level. I emptied one can to get to acceptable levels. I could use another to put it well into the green, but 1 should be enough.

Now AC blast cold and only spent $35 and I have 2 more bottles for more refills in the future.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Default recharging the 2001 Montero LTD AC

On the firewall, there are 2 lines that go into the firewall in front of the driver's side. One on top, and one on bottom. I noticed they are both different sizes too (in diameter). Which one do I hook up my gauge to in order to verify it's PSI and then to recharge it?

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:45 AM

You need to hook up the low port. There should be an L and H on the caps. You wanna check the one labeled with the L. If im correct the guage will only fit on the low port.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Default about the AC

Recharged it, and man does it spit out some good ice cold air. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:52 AM

it sucks now there is a core charge to get the can lol.

it was a while since I wrote this and saw prices went up. i also had to buy an adapter as they changed the fittings on the cans, gauges, etc