Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

make your own windshield wash solution

Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Default make your own windshield wash solution

has anyone made their own washing fluid to use?
dishwash soap,some percentage of anomia added to water,as an example.
I would experiment,but somewhere a year or so ago i read that your own mixture could ruin .rubber parts? I assume thats just crap and any ole mixture of soaps,amonia and water really will not hurt our systems.
Just the same on a couple occasions i have made occasional big mistakes on things I thought were very simple fixes or concoctions.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-10-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:10 PM

i use 10% methylated spirits and still water.
Wont freeze, dries fast and streak free.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 AM

I can buy it around here for $1.30 a gallon when it's on sale, so why go to a lot of bother? In the summer I might add 50% filtered water (which my wife can get for free). Other than that ..how much do you use?

There's probably a youtube video out there on making your own washing fluid.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 PM

I use 50/50 methanol and water for washer bottle. Bought a drum of methanol which I mix approx 10% in my tank to raise octane level by severl points.

Use the windshield washer bottle in my sports car with 50/50 mix as this doubles as my water injection reservoir under high boost. Would like to do same in my Pajero but since its a NA it gets a little more complicated.

jim

Old 10-10-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker
I can buy it around here for $1.30 a gallon when it's on sale, so why go to a lot of bother? In the summer I might add 50% filtered water (which my wife can get for free). Other than that ..how much do you use?

There's probably a youtube video out there on making your own washing fluid.

I already did check youtube,but I think I also asked if anyone with monteros made and used anything that negatively effect the rubber components and that wasnt in the youtubes that i could find.

Your Question: "I can buy it around here for $1.30 a gallon when it's on sale, so why go to a lot of bother?"

Well i think you may want to ask yourself the same question.

OK heres why i do it:

1-I needed the wash fluid now and didnt have the time to drive into town.
2. I live 30 min from the nearest store so when you add gas price to the wash fluid then it cost me $7.30 plus my time of 1 hr
3. i dont happen to go into town but once every 2 weeks,to get everything I need until next time.
4. Otherwise i never go into town as I work the other direction not near a town
5. My wife was leaving for work in 5 minutes and it needed done now ( heavy dirt road).
6. My wife doesnt have time and many ,if not all wives would be a little miffed if i had them go out of their way after work and fetch it for me,when "thats my job"

I guess I could have listed 1-6 with my initial post,but then you probably would have thought or replied "we dont need all that info to answer the questions " But you did.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Benckj
I use 50/50 methanol and water for washer bottle. Bought a drum of methanol which I mix approx 10% in my tank to raise octane level by severl points.

Use the windshield washer bottle in my sports car with 50/50 mix as this doubles as my water injection reservoir under high boost. Would like to do same in my Pajero but since its a NA it gets a little more complicated.

jim
========================================
Ialso mentioned in my post:
"I would experiment,but somewhere a year or so ago i read that ones own mixture could ruin rubber parts such as supply hoses .
methanol...I suppose this hasnt effected your nozzle hoses?

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-10-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Maybe in older cars but anything after say 2000 is alcohol/methanol compliment. All the concentrated washer fluid is over 70% meth some is nearly 100% with a drop of blue dye. If you don't believe try lighting it and watch blue flame.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:32 PM

I understand why one would do it in an emergency situation, we've all done that from time to time. When I need to do it, I just normally 'cut' the regular washer fluid 50% or so.