Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Milky oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Unhappy Milky oil cap

Ok first thing is that before I worked on my car I had no milky oil cap and now I do. Here's what I did, I took out the intake plenum manifold and replaced my valve cover gasket and spark plug well gaskets, spark plugs, fuel injector rail (o rings for injectors as well) fuel pump, fuel filter, and oil filter.

I'm getting grayish smoke after car gets to temp. and it smells like burnt oil and today I notice the white milky oil cap. Now my question is; Can a leaky gasket on my intake plenum manifold be the cause of this? I did not replace any seals I just reused them.

I didn't have a blown head gasket before I worked on the car so I find it hard to believe that this happened while working on the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks...

Old 06-04-2014, 01:55 PM

if you didn't take the head off, it's unlikely to be that gasket.
you *should* have either renewed the plenum gasket or used silicone gasket compound to make sure it's sealing properly, good chance there's a water channel sucking coolant in.

STOP DRIVING coolant is bad for pistons. do the intake properly, drain and refill with clean oil

Old 06-04-2014, 02:19 PM

Forgot to mention that I did use silicone compound for the main plenum gasket well thats the only gasket that came off. Can't think of anything else. Thinking of using that bluedevil liquid but not sure if that will work.

p.s. thats the old compound u see in the picture that I had previously put in since I had to go back in after I had a fuel leak.

Attached Thumbnails Milky oil cap-20140530_084546.jpg  

Last edited by RuffRida310; 06-04-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM

Gray smoke from exhaust is not coolant. White smoke is watre/coolant. Not sure why you have a milky colour oil cap but suspect this is something else related to over fueling. It won't be a vacume leak from plenum as this woul allow more un-metered air to enter but could be a stuck injector or faulty spark plugs. Did you get injectors cleaned & calibrated and what sort of plugs + gap did you use?

Jim

Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by RuffRida310
Forgot to mention that I did use silicone compound for the main plenum gasket well thats the only gasket that came off. Can't think of anything else. Thinking of using that bluedevil liquid but not sure if that will work.

p.s. thats the old compound u see in the picture that I had previously put in since I had to go back in after I had a fuel leak.
doesn't look like there's coolant passages there...

smells like burned oil.... has the oil been overfilled? that'll blow em, too

Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM

There are no coolant passages in the plenum. The closest the coolant gets to it is in the throttle body. I'm sure you had to disconnect TB from the upper part of the intake manifold. There is a metal gasket between throttle body and the manifold. Did you install it correctly? Having it installed in a wrong orientation will result in improper fuel/air metering. Also, as suggested before, check oil level and make sure it is not overfilled. Did you disconnect coolant lines from the throttle body? Are they connected back to correct ports?
Let us know what you figure out.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:41 PM

Yes, I re-installed correctly the coolant hoses to the plenum since there's only two and one is shorter than the other making it easy to know where they go =). Also checked the oil and is fine, no overfill. I had just done an oil change three weeks prior to getting into this mess. I didn't take off the TB off the plenum but disconnected the EGR pipe which has a lil metal gasket...

Took the plenum off again and I did have the gasket that connects the plenum to the engine backwards -_- stupid mistake on my part. I decided to take the plenum apart and notice the the gaskets didn't had silicone compound or if it did it was hella dry were it cracks and comes off. They're metal so do I really need to replace them? The manual says they're non reusable part but just wondering lol.

I hope this will solve my issue because I've done this so many times that I can take the plenum off in 10-15min lol.

I'll post some pictures of what I've taken apart.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:45 PM

This is the gasket I had placed backwards.

Attached Thumbnails Milky oil cap-20140606_111650.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM

These are from inside the plenum which I hadn't messed with before until today minus the egr gasket

Attached Thumbnails Milky oil cap-20140606_111656.jpg  

Last edited by RuffRida310; 06-06-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:50 PM

And this is everything.

Attached Thumbnails Milky oil cap-20140606_114245.jpg   Milky oil cap-20140606_114223.jpg  

Quick Reply: Milky oil cap