Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Mitsubishi Alternator Electrical Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Unhappy Mitsubishi Alternator Electrical Problems?

I have put 3 Alternators in my 2000 Mits- montero Sport 4x4 in the last 2 yrs and I need another one. What's really going on? Is it something Electrical? Please Help.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Lightbulb 2000-Mits- Montero Sport-4x4 Alternator electrical Problems?

Originally Posted by Shell
I have put 3 Alternators in my 2000 Mits- montero Sport 4x4 in the last 2 yrs and I need another one. What's really going on? Is it something Electrical? Please Help.
Please Please Help

Old 05-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Are you purchasing OEM parts?
How old is your battery?
Has the battery ever been drained seriously or multiple times?

Check the bolts that attach the alternator in place, and make sure there are no cracks in them. Although this usually results in only a drained battery, you may be straining your alternator repeatedly in order to charge the drained battery. This could be one possible reason for the short life span. While you're at it inspect and/or replace the alternator wiring.

Good Luck

Old 05-16-2010, 01:10 AM

using oem alternator could be the difference. we have changed out many aftermarket alternators on the sports and the full size monteros. same issue. battery weakness can also kill an alternator. forcing it to charge full force at all times. test the battery and replace if it doesnt have at least 585 cca. one of the most common causes of alternator failure on the sports and the full size is oil intrusion. the cam seal on the right bank leaks and drips oil right onto the alternator and eventually kills it. mitsubishi WILL NOT warranty an alternator if it has been replaced with a factory one if oil got into it.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by jgbrules
using oem alternator could be the difference. we have changed out many aftermarket alternators on the sports and the full size monteros. same issue. battery weakness can also kill an alternator. forcing it to charge full force at all times. test the battery and replace if it doesnt have at least 585 cca. one of the most common causes of alternator failure on the sports and the full size is oil intrusion. the cam seal on the right bank leaks and drips oil right onto the alternator and eventually kills it. mitsubishi WILL NOT warranty an alternator if it has been replaced with a factory one if oil got into it.
Who can one contact to get an OEM Alternator?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 PM

Check and clean all your electrical connections, to include all the grounds. Add extra grounds, IE daisy chain the grounds for better electrical flow (bad or corroded grounds can cause allot of problems). Replace the battery every three years, clean the battery terminals every other month or so. Get an 85amp alternator with a three year warranty, as I did from Napa.
Now, exactly what does your alternator do to cause problems? Do you get the batt/brake light going through 2000/4000 rpm? What does a multimeter show what volts are on the terminals? It should be charging at 13.5-15volts. check the power wires that goto the alt, IE the plug that goes into the back, that is where the alternator gets it's 12v to flash the field to start generating power and control the output.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
Thank you for this site.. I'll keep it bookmarked.

Originally Posted by Obakemono
Check and clean all your electrical connections, to include all the grounds. Add extra grounds, IE daisy chain the grounds for better electrical flow (bad or corroded grounds can cause allot of problems). Replace the battery every three years, clean the battery terminals every other month or so. Get an 85amp alternator with a three year warranty, as I did from Napa.
Now, exactly what does your alternator do to cause problems? Do you get the batt/brake light going through 2000/4000 rpm? What does a multimeter show what volts are on the terminals? It should be charging at 13.5-15volts. check the power wires that goto the alt, IE the plug that goes into the back, that is where the alternator gets it's 12v to flash the field to start generating power and control the output.
I just replaced the battery (Saturday) The first two times the Alternator went out, the Batt / Brake lights came on.. This 3rd time no lights came on.. The Radio / clock died.. then the SRS light came on and finally the RPM Guage went insane. This happened before I replaced the Battery. Replaced and no problems at all. Less than 8 hours later same thing happend. The Alternator has been replaced, I have been advised to have the electrics checked, which i'm hoping to do this week.

Thank You for the advise.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 PM

After thinking about it I feel that you really should check the grounds, but the most important one is the main ground. This goes from the negative battery terminal to the body, then on to the engine block. I would pull and clean these connections, and then check the two secondary grounds that come off the intake manifold to the firewall, and the engine block to body ground. These are important because if these connections have a high resistance (IE corroded) or broken/missing, this will tax the alternator because the current will be higher going thru a smaller ground. The alternator is simple in the fact the the plug on the back is 12v+ from the ignition and then a ground, and the single red wire goes directly to the battery. The heavy wire from the battery goes to the starter, the second heavy wire is from the alternator and the lighter wire goes directly to the fuse box to power all the vehicles systems. Even if all these connectors are clean and good, a single bad ground can FUBAR the whole system and cause issues. If it turns out not to be a ground, then you do have electrical gremlins. The only way to get rid of those little bastards is luck, and allot of it, oh and allot of parts too.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Please help I am havong the same problem I have changed the alternater 3 times changed the gasket and now is no longer leaking but the alternater is not working please let me know if you found a solution, thank you

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Alternator Electrical Problems?