Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Mitsubishi Montero Limited 2003 Traction control

Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Default Mitsubishi Montero Limited 2003 Traction control

Hello all

I am new to this forum, and I am also a owner of a Mitsubishi Montero Limited 2003 (Third generation according to wikipedia)

From what I have read in the internet and also in my user's manual, starting 2003 "Traction Control" (M-ATC) is a standard feature in the Montero Limited. Mine does not have the switch to enable/disable such feature.

Is there a way to tell if indeed I have such option. If not, is it possible to retrofit such option to my SUV?

Many thanks in advance,

Joel

Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Default RE: Mitsubishi Montero Limited 2003 Traction control

check your wiring harness and your owners manual....and im pretty sure you can but you would have to take it to the dealer.....love your montero BTW, i wanted to get the 4th gen exactly like that...but i settled for my 3rd gen...(urs is 4th, 1st gen was the boxy one, second they rounded the design a bit, 3rd (my ex montero before death by fire hydrant) had many extra features and more sporty design, 4th yours, and 5th is the european market....it is the sex )

Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 AM

you've got the limited then yes you have the M-ASTC just check your dash at start up or just turn it on but not start and you will see a truck symbol on a curvy road (2 of them) the right one is the one for indicating if its on or off, the left one will indicate if it activates if traction control is needed. the toggle for the M-ASTC is in front of the shifters, 2nd to the last near the rear fan toggle.

M-ASTC works its absolute best at 4H

Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 AM

Thanks both of you for your quick response. My user's manual states that starting 2003 all Montero Limiteds should have this option, and it explains the toggle switch and the dashboard lights regarding traction control.
The problem is that my Montero does not have this switch. It only has the one to turn on and off the rear A/C. No heated seats either, but I do not mind it.

Also, when I turn the key to the acc position, no lights regarding this option turn onin the dashboard. JPMontero98, you mentioned about checking the wiring harness, which one?

Thanks about the clarification about the generation thing on these vehicle. It is a bit confusing.

I live in Mexico, and fortunate us the new 2008 Montero is available here, I read this model is not available in the USA market .

Many thanks in advance

Joel

Old 11-30-2007, 06:02 PM

but you have the 4h,4HL and 4L lock right? and you have ABS? because basically the traction control is controlled by the ABS and"just" maybe you don't have the option of turning the traction control off? maybe... in 2003 there where three trims offered right? XLS, limited and anniversary special I wonder if you have the XLS? check your VIN to be sure.

2008 montero, sigh we dont have that here and our only mitsu dealer in seattle, (renton) closed and replaced it with Mazda (Walker's Renton) that sux! we sure hope they bring back the montero here in the US in turbodiesel engine.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:32 AM

Hello xyzik

Yes, my Montero Limited has the 2h, 4h, 4hl and 4l shifter. It does also have ABS.
What exactly do I have to check in my VIN number? I have been told that maybe I do not have the option of disabling it, but I would assume that the dashboard light would temporarily turn on when you first start the engine, just like ABS and SRS lights do.

Someone mentioned about checking the wiring harness, what exactly do I have to check?

Joel

Old 12-02-2007, 11:38 AM

hey joel, I will get back to you on this, I will try to check out some stuff. in the meantime if your up to it, maybe its time to hit some mud and see if you have traction control hehe, just kiddin.

one quick note though that traction control is not available on 4low lock,that is the last setting on the 4wheel option. so try shifiting your tcase to that and see if there are any indicators that lite up (dont drive it on dry paved road, bad!)

Old 12-02-2007, 04:18 PM

Hello xyzik

I read another post of yours about snow, and you gave me that idea last nignt for testing traction control on my Montero Limited. We do not have snow, but I can managesomemud. This Xmas I am traveling to New Mexico, might find snow there to try, but I would like to know sooner whether I have this option or not. Once again, from what I readthis is actualy standard feature, not an option.

I will wait for your commentsonce you check. Much appreciated.

Joel

Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 AM

here are some pix I pulled off from a 2001 pajero and since pajeros are 1 year advance, this is applicable to a 2002 montero, and since monteros did not change that much this "may" apply to 2003 as well.

so check out your fusible link #6 because that also is for the SC and then the other pix is the SC ECU location and G Sensor

I cant really find any info specifically on traction control, but since its called M-ASTC Im guessing that the traction control is tied into the stability control > Mitsu - Active Stability & Traction Control

MUD, yeah! but make sure you go with somebody who can winch you out just in case

hope this helps

[IMG]local://upfiles/14810/BCCFCB44B92D46EA9B1D643FCE1B4216.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14810/7349AA70A5E04C148D30F759BD2D2553.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2007, 05:38 AM

Thanks xyzik

I will check the info you sent.

Joel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Montero Limited 2003 Traction control