Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Mitsubishi montero sensor problem

Old 06-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Default Mitsubishi montero sensor problem

My 1996 mitsubishi montero ls is showing the check engine light so I showed it to my reputed mechanic who is my friend and he diagnosed it and said that there is no problem with the car its just the sensor which triggers the check engine light is burned so it keeps the light on for no reason otherwise there is no problem with the car.He said that it is hard to replace beacause it is deep inside so for now just dive the car without worrying about anything.I guess that there were no codes stored too.The gas cap is tight.Can you help me figure out where those sensors could be in the car and how to replace it?Thanks.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:44 PM

what did he use to check the codes with ???

Old 06-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
what did he use to check the codes with ???
Probably a obd 2 why?Is something wrong?He is a very smart and reputed mechanic.Thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Every sensor that is connected to your car can trigger the check engine light, there is no specific sensor for this. IE temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, throttle position sensor, oxygen sensor, ect. since your vehicle is OBD2 compliant, take it to autozone have them hook up a scan tool, then let us know what the code is and we will tell you how to fix it...

Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEclipse
Every sensor that is connected to your car can trigger the check engine light, there is no specific sensor for this. IE temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, throttle position sensor, oxygen sensor, ect. since your vehicle is OBD2 compliant, take it to autozone have them hook up a scan tool, then let us know what the code is and we will tell you how to fix it...
I already showed it to my mechanic who is smart and my friend so he told that that is no problem with the car but a sensor which is deep underthe car is burnt out is triggering the light to stay on otherwise there are no probs with the car and it runs the same.so that is basically a sensor which makes the light turn on when there are any problems with the car is burnt out itself and keeps the light on.There are no codes stored.

Last edited by cdvyas20; 06-25-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 PM

The Engine Control Module is responsible for turning the check engine light on and off, when it detects a problem from one of the many sensors, it illuminates the light and stores a code, from what I have read on the non-US model of that montero if the ECM fails the light will remain illuminated during diagnostics if the ECM itself has failed, otherwise it will flash a sequence code. Is your montero a US or non-US model?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 PM

The Engine Control Module is responsible for turning the check engine light on and off, when it detects a problem from one of the many sensors, it illuminates the light and stores a code, from what I have read on the non-US model of that montero if the ECM fails the light will remain illuminated during diagnostics if the ECM itself has failed, otherwise it will flash a sequence code. Is your montero a US or non-US model?
It is a US version.Thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 11:19 PM

If you are located near a autoparts store such as autozone, napa, ect. They will hook up a scan tool to your vehicle free of charge. Its always good to get a second opinion and that would be a good start. If you do this and they still show no stored codes with the light still being on, I will do a little more research for you to help diagnose your problem.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 PM

If you are located near a autoparts store such as autozone, napa, ect. They will hook up a scan tool to your vehicle free of charge. Its always good to get a second opinion and that would be a good start. If you do this and they still show no stored codes with the light still being on, I will do a little more research for you to help diagnose your problem.
Ok Friend whenever I get time i'll do that because autozone is far from here.I will post again when I do that.Thanks.