Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero rear wheel rim stud / bolt replacement

Old 04-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Default Montero rear wheel rim stud / bolt replacement

Montero rear wheel rim stud / bolt replacement

I have a 2003 full size Montero Limited (3.8 liter) with 6 studs / lugs on each wheel hub. A back rear stud broke off exactly at the end of the lug as I was checking them yesterday. There is about 1/2" of threaded stud remaining but I can't find a lug to grab that deep through the wheel rim stud hole. Otherwise I'd do that for a temporary fix.

I took the wheel off, supported the brake caliper upwards/pulled off the rotor, and removed the rotor. The brake shoe and associated spring pieces seem to be in the way of extracting the stud, however.

I think if I take the emergency brake apart and off there's enough room to drive the broken stud backwards and out to get the new stud in. This right?

The manual doesn't specify a specific procedure to replace a wheel bolt stud...so I wanted to be sure before I tear into it. If I have to take the whole hub off, I'll need a couple of more hours of work time.

Is this how it goes for a single rear wheel stud removal/replacement? How'd you do it? This one stud is the only broken and worn piece so I hate to disassemble more than I need to. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2017, 11:11 PM
Default Fix for Gen 3 Montero / Pajero rear wheel stud

This was easy. Took about 1.5 hours. Taking my time and drinking beer with a friend, lol. I removed the tire. Removed brake caliper lower bolt and flipped caliper upward and wired to shock. Removed disk (using the push out bolts, not sure of size). I removed rear-most e-brake shoe at the top by unhooking shoe-to-anchor hook. Removed the shoe retaining spring, and moved the shoe outward about 1". Tapped old broken stud out. Put in new stud, and about 1" of washers, and drew it in with an impact wrench until visually flush.

The hardest part was replacing the shoe to anchor spring without breaking it. It took two people. One person pushing with small needle nose pliers and me pulling with a pair of curved hook spring pliers that weren't specific for this vehicle.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:57 PM

A+ Thanks for the update.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:56 AM
Default Lug replacement

Put the rear of the car up on jack stands and put the car in neutral. Remove the caliper and rotor. Put the car into neutral, you can rotate the Hub to a point where there is a hole in the backing plate that looks like it is made just for the purpose of replacing the lug. In this way you can eliminate dealing with the emergency brake. Very simple.