Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2001 Montero Turbo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Default 2001 Montero Turbo Conversion

Does anyone know if this has been done or is even possible? Where do I start??

Old 04-05-2009, 04:36 PM

Start by Googling "Montero Turbo" http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/turbo_monty/

I believe this is for an old four cylinder version - no way you're going to have room for a turbo on each side of your V6.

You didn't ask my opinion but even it there was room this is not the kind of project I'd ever attempt and I've done some strange conversions. The chances of failure are huge and the cost per extra HP would not be attractive to me. I don't know anything about performance chips for the 2001 but if they exist, that, plus an aftermarket air intake might be a better approach.

Ron

Last edited by jrmdir; 04-05-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, even with a chip and cold-air intake I have only experienced a 15% gain in HP. Even with a single turbo and modest boost I could expect to realize a 40-50% increase in HP. Because of the tight engine compartment, it is possible to mount the turbo(s) remotely and still get the performance enhancement. Check out the universal systems available from STS...(http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system)

Just out of curiosity, what conversion projects have you taken on?? Any pics?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM

Pretty impressive looking photos. I'd be extremely concerned about turbo lag with one large turbo mounted that far away from the engine - so you might see what they say about it or talk with someone who's done it before investing. With what it's going to cost before you're through you might want to consider taking a trip to drive a demo unit if they have something comparable to an SUV. We tend to forget now that OEM turbos are so good, but it wasn't always so and lag in acceleration is a horrible thing to live with day to day. Good luck and let me/us know if you do it - it will be intesting to see how it turns out.

Ron

Oh - projects are all old ones and unfortunately I don't have great photos, but:

Rover V-8 into Lotus Eclat
Ford Capri V-6 into Lotus Seven
Turbocharged a non-turbo Porsche 911

Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Steve-O

After further consideration, I was much too laid back in my previous post. What I shold have said is DON'T DO IT! I have a much better plan:

Send me a check for $5,000. This will have several advantages:

1) This is way less than you will spend with the turbo kit, parts guys, and fabricators you will need to hire - and I'll enjoy taking your money just as much as they will.
2) When you decide to sell your Montero, you will actually have a running vehicle to sell and won't have to advertise it as:
a) Custom Turbo Montero, 85% complete, just needs "a bit more work", or
b) Custom Turbo Montero, ran great until inferior pistons melted and/or carpet caught fire
3) Either way, you'll get at least $6k more for it that if it was a messed-up project so right there you'll have made a quick $1K with my plan - and as a bonus you'll have saved 6 or 8 months of your life and health and possibly a relationship. Think it over, it's a fantastic opportunituy for you!

Seriously, there are so many things that need to be perfect in a turbo design to end up with a really enjoyable car that it's just not worth trying, IMO. Unless you can find someone who has done another Montero and see it and drive it, please take my advice and get it off your mind. If you don't need 4WD, you'd be better off ripping everything out and custom fitting a Ford or GM crate motor with an easy 350HP. But then there's those smog checks.

Ron

Old 04-07-2009, 05:29 AM

Ron,

Thanks again for your colorful responses. You make some very valid points. I will definitely take into carful consideration all of your comments, that is except for sending you my $5000. LOL. Believe me when I say that I am not going to rush into this project without doing the research.

I am sure there is someone out there who has tried this or at least put some serious thought into it. That is the reason for my post. Unfortunately I have not yet received any responses from anyone with more Mitsubishi turbo (or turbos in general) experience than myself. Thankfully I am the patient type. I have also made contact with STS to get their feedback on the feasability of such an install. I will post their comments when I receive them.

Oh yea, my projects:
  • '89 Starion with 265 RWHP on pump gas from a Garrett T28 turbo upgrade, cold air, custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust and EBC
  • Audi A6 2.7T Quattro with 320+ AWHP on pump gas from APR chip, K&N cold air & custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Steve-O

Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 PM

Well I assume if its the 3,5 litre V6 Montero, then its engine code is 6G74(You can see rest of the engine codes and infromation example from Wikipedia). So take a look from google with Mitsubishi 6G74 Turbo conversion. I example found this:

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...d=65&Itemid=40

There was many other good links as well.

Mitsubishi have been producing Evolution model earlier, its not probably been sold there in USA. But example in Japan. And it also had the 3,5 V6, but with MIVEC and few other things. The Pajero Evolutions power fiqures were about 300hp. But it was not turbocharged, Mitsubishi took the power with other methods. So one way to get extra power might be to find out, how the Pajero Evolutions engine differs from yours, and do those mods for it.

Also do search with Pajero Turbo conversion. Because in biggest part of the world, the Montero is sold with its real name, Mitsubishi Pajero. Only in USA, and few spanish talking countries it is sold with name Montero, so you will probably find information a lot easier, when you search it with "Pajero" name.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM

I am running a Remote turbo from STS with my 1997 Montero Sport... Not Hard... STS Universal Turbo, weld up the exhaust piping accordingly, AEM FIC 6 for fuel management, running 8psi with stock injectors for 2,000 miles no problem... lag is minimal, its all in the tune brother... What you need

STS Kit - $2,000
Exhaust custom work, intake custom work, oil supply (all wasn't hard at all) - $700 (Tops)
AEM FIC 6 - $440
Good Dyno time with an experienced tuner - $500 (max)
new head gaskets just in case - $400 max for all the work

making about 216whp and 267 lb-ft. at 8psi... That's from the first run of 154whp and 177 lb-ft... Its a whole different truck, it has some BF Mudders on it and just tackles anything i send it over, gas mileage is the same, however running 89 octane instead of 87 (south florida) ... The guy who tuned my FIC said once i find larger flowing injectors we'll up the boost because he sais the engine can handle more, i'm cutting the mission after i hit 260whp... I love the damn thing now, very well behave, no over heating since all the hot turbo components are far away from the engine, not using an intercooler because intake charge stays cool from air passing it under the car... In short, it works, and if you no how to weld on your own and tune or even just install the stuff on your own after you'll pay a bit less then me (I'm a freak about having things done by certified personnel)... Montero definetly has potential, mad a guy in a civic behave himself the other day, its worth it.