Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Sport Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Default Montero Sport Transmission problems

I have a 2000 Montero sport. I have always had a problem shifting into 3rd and especially 4th when we would take out the battery. Then I took it to my buddies house and we replaced the oil and such. We put everything back on and the whole nine yards. I went to back out and it wouldn't actually move until it reved to 4000 rpm (its an automatic btw) so I backed it out of the garage and didn't think much of it. I went to leave his house later that night and I put it into drive and it went to 3500 rpm and finally stuttered a couple of feet and went back to idle speed. It did this a couple times and fixed itself. I get down the road fine then I stopped and turned onto the highway I was accelerating and it was fine up intill shifting into 4th. It went to about 5k rpm and it didn't shift so I let off the gas and then it just covered the road in white smoke. It looked as if a cloud just came down to the ground. it looked pretty cool but it now smokes whenever I put it into drive and step I'm the gas. The car won't even move now. If anyone know what may be wrong it would help a lot. It would be a waste to rebuild the tranny because it would cost more to rebuild it then its worth.

Last edited by shankadank; 07-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM

How many miles....? What grade oil did you use...?
Sounds like there was an existing transmission issue before, now you have a motor problem.