Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Sport V6 oil smoke profuse!!!???

Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Default Montero Sport V6 oil smoke profuse!!!???

2000 Montero Sport V6 with 120K miles smokinga lot while idling and profusely when giving throttle to clear out. Seems to clear up with no visible smoke running down the road at 60mph. This vehicle runs perfect, is immaculate inside, outside and underneath so appears it was serviced and cared for.
I made deal to purchase and went to pick up and saw all the oil smoke. Seller says this is common to Mitsubishi's while idling for several minutes. This is my first exposure to any Mitsubishi, so I would like to know of any known common issues with engine mechanicals. Buying for my 15 year old daughter and we both love the looks of the Montero Sport.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Default RE: Montero Sport V6 oil smoke profuse!!!???

https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_104778/tm.htm

This might provide some insight.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

What color is the smoke?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:19 PM

I had an old blazer that had a blown head gasket. Upon starting it would blow all kinds of smoke for a few minutes until it was warmed up, then it stoped for the most part. It was on its last legs, so I never fixed it. I don't know if this is the same type of thing as yours, but maybe something else to look into?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 PM

change your vss i rent the tool to do it mitsu seals are good for about 110 thou miles

Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 PM

mxmikie, good information. It was so bad I thought it might be rings. I can't remember the last time I saw a vehicle this new smoke that bad. I have talked with several car dealers and Mitsubishi owners and the majority say that Mitsubishi's have this common smoking problem while idling. I just haven't found much on this forum. I'm not sure when the timing belt was last changed. Would you recommend changing the belt and tensioner while we're replacing the vvs? What is the rule of thumb for replacement of the timing belt, tensioner? Mileage?, Any other obvious predictive maintenance clues as to timing belt/tensioner due?Jeff

Old 12-24-2007, 01:01 AM

i bought my 95 montero SR cause it quit running (bad belt adjuster)160,000 miles i change all timing components and water pump started the truck (sat 2 years) after it warmed up smoked like a fog machine i bought/made the valve spring tool and changed the valve stem seals plugs and wires smoking stopped as did the burnt oil smell replaced the fuel pump and filter and a front axle seal haven had to open the hood since truck now has 230,000 miles

Old 03-23-2008, 01:59 AM

you need to change your valve seals. i have had this problem on two monteros already. an 87 4 cyl and a v6. your gonna need a valve spring compressor

Old 06-26-2008, 10:40 PM

my 93 3.0 v6 was doing the same thing, ichanged the valve cover gaskets and the smoking stopped. it is a very easy fix, also it improved my gas milage for some reason. it is a relatively easy fix.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:28 PM

oil smoke during extended idling or upon initial startup is from worn valve seals and/or guides.

altough common on earlier model mitsus, the sports do not usually suffer this issue unless badly neglected. I suspect someone didnt bother changing thier oil.

the bandaid fix is new valve seals. the proper fix will probably be a valve job, as valve guide wear is undoubtedly present.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Montero Sport V6 oil smoke profuse!!!???