Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero won't shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Default Montero won't shut off

My girlfriend came home yesterday and her 96 Montero Sport would not shut off. You could turn the key off and pull it out, and the car kept on running. I went ahead and pulled the engine fuse to shut it down, but am wondering whether someone has an idea if this is more likely an ignition switch gone bad, a relay stuck open, or something else. I'll add that it was unusually cold weather for Texas when this happened.. about 20 degrees. I've tried the following to no avail:
Cycling the key back and forth,
Putting it in drive and back in park to rule out a transmission switch,
Tapping the ignition key and surrounding area.

Are these vehicles prone to bad ignition switches? Should I just wait a couple days till the weather normalizes and see if it works then? Anyone with an idea of what this problem probably is, I'd appreciate your input before I start guessing myself. Thanks in advance!!

Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Montero won't shut off

FWIW, Among the many Montero owners I know (~150?) that's the 1st I've heard an ignition switch going bad. Not sure what could have caused it either. Sorry.[&:]

Old 12-09-2005, 04:50 AM

To the other accessories in the vehicle have power with the key off.. if sure sounds like an ignitions switch problem. FYI- the first model year for the MOntero Sport is 1997- we ARE referring to a MOntero Sport right?

Joel, CA

Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 PM

The switches do go bad. But ussually it is the starter contact of the switch. Meaning that you turn the key to the starter position and nothing happens. The switches are not too expensive or hard to replace if you want to try it. you can purchase the electrical portion of the switch so you can use the same key.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:09 AM

I've ran into a few cars where you can turn the key and remove it from the switch while the engine is running.. funny sh...stuff!

Joel, CA