Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Monty Ltd won't engage drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Default Monty Ltd won't engage drive

Hi all,

I have done some searches in here for this issue, but have yet to find anything that answers my question....so here goes...

I have a 2001 Monty Ltd with 199, 250 miles. I cannot engage drive. Park, neutral, reverse all work, but i can't get it to drop into drive. I have seen two basic solutions in here.....flush the transmission or get a new transmission range sensor. Might there be some adjustment i can make in the linkage? It appears that there is some play in there....can I tighten the shift cable?

Thanks in advance...

gc

Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by lovinmrv
Might there be some adjustment i can make in the linkage? It appears that there is some play in there....can I tighten the shift cable?
cable? Thatd be a new one on me.
Get into it and find out.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 AM

There is no cable on transmission shifter on the 2001 Montero Limited.
Check the transmission switch operation. Look up the FSM on one of the Sticky posts on the Montero Forum (the 2003 year will do) and check the shifter operation and the switch contacts engagement. FSM has all the instructions for it. I hope that is where your problem may be.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by lovinmrv
Hi all,

I have done some searches in here for this issue, but have yet to find anything that answers my question....so here goes...

I have a 2001 Monty Ltd with 199, 250 miles. I cannot engage drive. Park, neutral, reverse all work, but i can't get it to drop into drive. I have seen two basic solutions in here.....flush the transmission or get a new transmission range sensor. Might there be some adjustment i can make in the linkage? It appears that there is some play in there....can I tighten the shift cable?

Thanks in advance...

gc
Hello lovinmrv did you ever have the solution for this problem on the montero? Im having the same issue and believe me Im walking Egypt right know. Don't know what to do anymore. hoping you ever got a solution and can give me some light . thanks for your time and have a nice day