Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

my engine ate a piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Saw I may have overlooked 1 of your points.

The 64cc combustion chamber of the SOHC pent-roof design takes the DOME top piston, the center piston of the 3 in my pic. The 43cc combustion chamber of the DOHC 6g74 heads I have seen take a slightly depressed dome, the right piston in my pic.

Your rods, with the exception of the damaged one, will work in either situation.

I would be happy to send you the set of 6g75 stock pistons I have if you want to pay shipping/parcel fees as I will never use them. Out of a 2006 Galant w/20,xxx miles on the clock.
Lincoln

Old 05-15-2016, 05:43 PM

Included a pic of a 6g74 DOHC chamber(dirty) and a 6g74 SOHC chamber(clean)

Not as easy as I thought to tell the difference as the 75 valves are larger and skews the point of reference a bit. Th 75 chamber is more open. The valves have been un-shrouded as the chamber has been expanded, therefor the required dome on the piston.

Hope this helps.

Lincoln

Attached Thumbnails my engine ate a piston-6g74-chamber.jpg   my engine ate a piston-6g75-chamber.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Rik

I have the engine out now. Tomorrow i will get the pan off.

Thanks for all advice, you are helping me a lot. I don't always understand what you say though. About those pistons. I think my cilinderwall has too much damage for stock 75 pistons. I would still need a 75 crankshaft. I will have the empty shortblock checked to see how many mm it need to be bored. A sleeve is not available i believe.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:58 AM

A search turned up a Melling cylinder sleeve, part number CSL930 listed at $43.86.
Just a thought.
Lincoln

Old 05-17-2016, 02:42 AM
Rik

Thank you so very much. This might be the best news i had until now. I opened up the engine and found the piston in the oil pan. 2 Big pieces and a lot of small ones.

Can i use a good used 99 rod, piston and rings or are they different? All else i'd need would be gaskets, oil and filters. Or am i mising something?

About the sleeve, it's 93mm ok but how about the height? Is this sleeve the correct height? How can i find this out. I mailed Melling, but i wonder if they'll answer.

My heads
Name:  WhatsApp-Image-20160517_zpsmul710vt.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  143.8 KB
Two big pieces of piston
Name:  WhatsApp-Image-20160517%201_zpsmun0ofw2.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  162.8 KB
And a lot of small pieces
Name:  WhatsApp-Image-20160517%202_zpsr8vkjl5t.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  113.9 KB

Thanks for your help again
Jeroen

Last edited by Rik; 05-17-2016 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Rik

I did some research, and the guys from Melling have a very good customer service. I have ordered the sleeve. I now need new bearings, valve lifters a used 6g74 piston with rings and head gaskets. I'll keep you posted.
Just one more question for the moment: Why did my piston break? Was is because the valve lifters were stuck or was it because of late oil changes? What can iu do to prevent this from happenning again?

Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Looks like you have it apart, now you can really give the block a good looking over. You'll have to keep the piston/rod about for show and tell.

I believe the sleeve is ~ 145mm in length. The cylinder will need bored to the appropriate dimension and the sleeve fitted then cut to length after. Then bored/honed to the proper dimension to fit your 93MM piston. Think we used to charge ~ $90 USD for 1 cylinder sleeve. That's been a few years back as I am retired at this point.

A 99 6g74 piston and rod should work out fine as I believe only the block changed in the 6g74.
Lincoln

Old 05-18-2016, 11:40 PM

Good question on the broken piston. Wondering if that cylinder had a lot of carbon build-up in the chamber. This would cause an increase in compression and lead to possible detonation in that particular cylinder. Other than that, something coming in to contact with the piston, or just flat out failure. Don't know how many miles are on your unit, but I would make a close inspection of the remaining pistons and look for cracking especially in and around the upper ring lands area. I suspect this is where your failure started.
Let me know if you have any trouble locating parts, does't sound as if that is an issue for you, as I have many parts for the 74 I will not be using.
Lincoln

Old 05-19-2016, 12:09 AM
Rik

Partswise i should be fine. There was not very much carbon on the specific chamber. Tomorrow i'll be bringing the block for inspection but i think there are no cracks. Crankshaft has some scratches on the rod holder or how to call it? I'm not a native English speaker as you might have noticed. How about the rod? I can't see anything wrong to my rod that came out of the bad cilinder. Seems fine to me. Is this something i can see with the eye or it has to be measured somehow?

My car has 200.000 km on it that should be 120.000 miles.

It's just the 2 of us here right?

Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 AM

I'm surprised how sludgy the oil pan looks like for a 120,000 miles. How often do you change oil?

Quick Reply: my engine ate a piston