Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

my engine ate a piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Rik

I have bought the car like this not knowing the engine was broke. I call it my little find Maybe i should have tried to rotate the crankshaft at least before buying the car. At least i have something to do now!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rik
I have bought the car like this not knowing the engine was broke. I call it my little find Maybe i should have tried to rotate the crankshaft at least before buying the car. At least i have something to do now!
I see. Considering what kind of a "surprise" you found inside, you have a remarkably good and positive attitude about the whole situation
Good job on not giving up on it. Best of luck.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Rik

Today i have brought the engine block for inspection and as i thought it is fine, no cracks.
I will need to have the crankshaft rod pins machined the main ones are fine. So i'll need oversize rod bearings. I will need 2 new (used) rods and 1 piston.

Leaves me to the heads. I dont know which gasket set i need as those i have found are for the SOHC heads. 6g74 '94-96 does seem to be DOHC as well. Does anyone know if those are the same heads as mine or do i need the Hyundai DOHC gasket set? I have the Japanese DOHC heads while the American Montero's as you guys know have SOHC heads.

Last edited by Rik; 05-19-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Rik

From Wiki:

Mitsubishi 6G74
The 6G74 is a 3497 cc 24-valve unit available with either SOHC, DOHC, or MIVEC DOHC. Bore is 93 mm and stroke is 85.8 mm. Output is 153 kW (208 PS; 205 hp) at 5000 rpm with 313 N·m (231 ft·lbf) of torque at 4000 rpm for the SOHC, 194 kW (264 PS; 260 hp) at 6000 and 324 N·m (239 ft·lbf) at 4500 rpm for the MIVEC. The most common 6G74 has a cast iron engine block and an aluminum cylinder head. It uses MFI fuel injection and uses forged steel connecting rods.

KIA
The G6AU and G4HC (both also called the 3.5 D ) are the large 3,497 cc (3.497 L; 213.4 cu in) versions of the Sigma engine. Bore and stroke are both larger at 93 mm (3.7 in) and 85.8 mm (3.38 in) respectively. Output is 200 hp (149 kW) at 5500 rpm and 214 ft·lbf (290 N m) at 4800 rpm for the older G6AU V6 and 217 hp (162 kW) at 5500 rpm and 232 ft·lbf (314 N m) at 3500 rpm for the new G4HC Sigma.

The 3.5 D has a cast iron engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses MFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder, and features forged steel connecting rods. It is designed to run on "regular" unleaded gasoline rather than the premium fuel used in many other high-output V6 engines.

This makes me believe my engine is the same as the G4HC from Kia so i should be able to use those gaskets?

Old 05-20-2016, 11:33 AM

The North American 6g74 came with both the SOHC and the DOHC dependent upon year and model. Kia and Hyundai used both the 6g72 and the 6g74 using the Sigma name. I see rockauto.com lists different head gaskets for the DOHC and the SOHC although the heads are interchangeable. I.E., I am using a 95 Montero 6g74 block, which came with DOHC heads, and SOHC heads from a 2005 6g75 Galant as they have larger valves. Not sure of the difference as the Cometic gaskets are identical in either application only dependent on bore size and desired thickness. I would think that any DOHC 3.5L Sigma or DOHC 6g74 head gasket will work in your application.

I see a 6g74 GDI engine for sale, which was never available in the North American market , in Johannesburg. Too bad shipping is so expensive as I have been looking for one for awhile.

You write English quite well I might add.

Lincoln

Old 05-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Rik

So you think i could use any gasket set for dohc? I have seen so many on Ebay that i'm getting confused. Best thing would be a complete set with rings, gaskets and all bearings. Good to know there are lots of parts to be found for those engines. I can also buy those parts locally but they are way overpriced. Ebay price times 4 sort off. 94 96 Mitsubishi Montero 3 5 DOHC 6G74 Full Gasket Set Bearings Piston Rings | eBay
is what i have found. This should work?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:31 PM
Rik

@Lincoln Why don't you go for just the heads? Shortblock is the same.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:32 AM

If the pic is accurate, then it is for DOHC and all standard should work. Quality is not known unless you could find someone whom has actually used this particular product. Looks like the seller has 100% feedback back and nearing 200,000 sales so must be doing something correct.
Yes I would like to get just the heads and fuel system, but I can find nothing here in North America. The 4g9's can be found as can the 6b31's (both GDI) available in the newer Outlander. I am hoping someone has one they have rat-holed and not using eventually. It appears to be an uphill battle!
Lincoln

Old 05-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Rik

I can get you those heads and other stuff like the GDI pump you might need. I have a friend at the salvage yard. I'll ask him for a good price. We have a lot of those japanese Pajero's with dohc engines here. I also have a DHL business account. I will check to see if i can get you a quote.

Sleeve will arrive next week, gasket set i will order asap. Can't wait to get started.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 PM

Checking on those would be great, thank you! I would need the entire fuel system from the engine mounted pump on, injectors, lines etc. I have never seen one in person, so I am not sure about valve covers and the like. Little things like injector retainers would be difficult for me to find around here. Also I know the pistons are very much different, but I would likely have some forged units made as the stock ones are likely cast.
Sounds as if you are well on your way to getting all the parts you need for your rebuild. Guessing you are getting anxious to drive your "new" ride!
Many thanks for looking in to the GDI parts.
Lincoln

Quick Reply: my engine ate a piston