Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New 91 Montero Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Default New 91 Montero Owner

Hi,

Just picked up a clean 1991 Montero.

Only around 100k on the ticker, and very little surface rust.

So far ive been loving it, but noticed there is only limited info out there on them, and thought maybe I could post up a few issues and get some advice.

First, my sunroof wont open.....I hear the motor going when I operate the switch but it just wont budge, even if I try and help it. Figure some WD40 might help but I dont know where to spray...any advice?

Also my shifter moves freely (its an auto) as in you dont need to press the button to shift out of park, and my ebrake dosnt work so its a bad combo.

The ebrake just needs to be replaced, the lever with the attached cable and threading, unless just the cable and thread can be replaced because the threading snapped and isnt long enough to fit the nut on to grasp the brakes.

aside from that everything else is mint and stock.

I want to put some 31-33 tires on it, and have a cb setup for it, just cant decide on an antenna location. I got a firestik 4" so any adviice on location for that would be apreciated.

I also picked up a rack for the roof, just need to find the right brackets to mount it!

Again any help would be much apreciated!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 AM

I mounted mine on rear driver side bumper...looks good I think and it will not get wacked off by trees...learned that the hard way ....33" will stuff, although I cut my fenders and have a 2" OME lift coming soon...I have plans to Jump up to 35's...like I said though, I cut my fenders 2" back...

Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by akwhitebuffalo
I mounted mine on rear driver side bumper...looks good I think and it will not get wacked off by trees...learned that the hard way ....33" will stuff, although I cut my fenders and have a 2" OME lift coming soon...I have plans to Jump up to 35's...like I said though, I cut my fenders 2" back...
Do you have any pictures of your antenna? I was thinking front might balance out the tall rear end a bit, just not sure if I want to drill a hole or make a bracket.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Looks like a good location!

I found a picture of the part I need for my parking brake:

The cable with the bracket that pulls the brake lines...

Ive looked everywhere and cannot find a name, part number, or anything.

I need to track one down ASAP as my kid keeps knocking the rig out of park and it rolls.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:59 AM

looks similar to the one on my 97ms sport....it is a parts car for my 02 sport....if there interchangeable your welcome to it....

Old 07-10-2014, 09:31 AM

looks similar to the one on my 97ms sport....it is a parts car for my 02 sport....if there interchangeable your welcome to it....
Name:  unnamed_zps2ae22b33.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  31.7 KB

Mine has snapped threads, but as long as the rest is the same, I would definitely appreciate it, just let me know how they compare!

Ill try and get some pics of my rig up today too. Doing the stereo and CB install this afternoon, and hopefully will test out the 4wd to make sure everything works.

This thing is definitely growing on me, I just wish the wheels where a bit wider.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM

I will try to get back to you tomarrow before heading off to work...working nights, I tend to be slow in the mornings though should have a awnser by noon pacific time

Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 PM

No luck on that part matching up...sorry...they look almost the same other then that link used to tie in the 2 cables

Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 PM

No luck on that part matching up...sorry...they look almost the same other then that link used to tie in the 2 cables

Dang, well I appreciate you looking. Mines in great shape aside from that prong needing to be longer, and its not really something I can fix....I have no idea what its even called or where to look online for a replacement.