Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New to the forum ower of 1994 since new

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 PM

So I did the VLA adjustment and the truck runs better but still has a tapping sound. I am pretty sure I will need to to have the valve job done. It is criticle since it is also a smog testing year for me. It has been boarderline for years. I am really glad I found this forum because you guys have been super helpful.

The 15" Weld Racing wheels are for sale as well. I got some new Watanabe 16" 8 spokes ready to go on.

Attached Thumbnails New to the forum ower of 1994 since new-montero-side.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 AM

Montezuma,

Apologies for the late response. When you replaced the VLA's, did you happen to examine what the tops of your valve stems were like? If there is a gap between the valve stem and the VLA, there will be a ticking noise. Won't do any harm, but if you want to get a valve job out of the way, it would be a good time.

When I did my valve job, I used Beck/Arnley valves and my engine developed the same issue. When I examined the top of the valve stem, it looked worn...which surprised me, because they only have 25,000 miles on them. When I compared it to the OE valves (which had 178,000 miles on them), they looked perfect. I would highly recommend OE valves...will cost you a bit more, but it's not something you would want to skimp on.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Really love this site and appreciate the great information. One thing I discovered is that this vehicles have the exact same problems. I have the same transmission problem as others, the same blinking 4X4 light as others and the valve problem like others. Othere than those three items this is one tough and great truck. I will drive it until the Enviro-wackos make it illegal.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 AM

They're pretty tough trucks, save for some minor issues here and there...but then again, no vehicle is perfect.

Speaking of which, if you 'exercise' your 4WD system often (say once a week or so), that will help reduce the problems you may have with the flashing 4x4 lights.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 AM

Well I finally got my motor opened and I discovered a rather large crease in the valve atop #2 piston. I could not believe how bad it was and the truck still ran. I am getting it all done for around $1200 like I stated before. I can't wait to get her back and drive it 6 cyl again.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Got my truck back last Friday after a major valve job. The thing runs great, I found out that I had a valve burned so bad in cyclinder #2 that the exhaust valve was deformed. It is amazing how bad that thing was...not bent at all just burnt. In the end with all taxes and parts, the final bill was $1446. I picked it up and took it over to get a Smog Check but it failed anyway....the reason? Driving around with a burnt valve for over a year most likley burned out the Cat. A new CARB approved Cat installed will run another $269, then I know I will pass. I am so happy to have my Monty back.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Monty is running good now...just one little scare the other day: had a tapping in the motor, did the VLA adjustment fix, two cycles is all it took and the the tap was gone. Getting about 18 MPG right now and would like to get back to about 22 like before, I hope the new Cat gets me that. Any recommendations?

I got a new concern: minor, but a concern. The truck feels like the steering is floating alittle. I am running Bilstiens on the all 4 corners for the last 5 years, does anyone think the shocks might be the problem? Any other adjustments that I can make?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Hello
can you give the address of the shop you had it fix?
2000 montero sport ES (automatic), after maybe 30 minutes of driving
"white smoke" comes out of exhaust or if idle for 15-20 minutes
if you press the gas pedal "white smoke "will come out of exhaust.
do it need an engine overhaul? any advice:
Thanks