Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New Ls owner. few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:40 AM
Default New Ls owner. few questions.

I bought an 03 full size montero ls on the 30th. I have been combing and combing classifieds but never found one. Well one popped up on cl and it was only 3 grand!!! for an 03 ls with 166k, so i called emailed and texted him imminently!! i went test drove it and bought it for 2900.

Its a great vehicle, but has a few issues i am discovering....

It is very slow to start, and runs a little rough when started and idling.
the check engine light popped on and i had it coded and they said it was an 02 sensor.
How hard and expensive are they to fix, and how soon does it need to be done?

The drivers side window is lagging a bit and got stuck on me last night. I waited a while and restarted engine and it rolled up possible electrical issue??

Oh and its missing the cover that covers the third row seat when it goes into the floor.... i don't know the part name or where i can find one but i was hoping someone would know as i really would like to find one.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:21 AM

It's possible all the problems could be from a bad battery or corroded terminals ..I'd start by checking and cleaning the battery connection and testing the battery duo you have a volt meter or multimeter?

Old 08-01-2015, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jp1985
...i had it coded and they said it was an 02 sensor.
That is too vague. What is the exact code (P0XXX)? Also you need to know what the freeze frame data is. If you had the parts store folks pull the code, I hope they did not clear it. Go back there again and get the code AND the freeze frame (FF) data. It is important to have the FF data because the code just says which engine system had detected fault, the FF data tells what was happening when the fault occurred. Post both here, than we can trouble shoot it. Do not blindly replace O2 sensors (I'm sure that is what the parts store wants you to do). O2 sensors rarely go bad anymore.

The cover for the third row of seats could be called a floor panel or something like that. I doubt you'll be able to find one on the classifieds. Your best bet would be wrecking yards.

Window - most likely the window regulator motor is going out. Unfortunately it is not easy to find the replacement for these (unless you go OEM for lots of $$$). I found out that the best option to fix it is to take out the motor and send it to Cardone for Rebuild and Return service (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...99261572,d.cGU). That was pretty inexpensive and turn around time was decent too. The only issue is - once you take the window motor out, the window wouldn't stay up. I had to jam a piece of wooden broom handle into the door to keep window from sliding down

Old 08-01-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
It's possible all the problems could be from a bad battery or corroded terminals ..I'd start by checking and cleaning the battery connection and testing the battery duo you have a volt meter or multimeter?
I borrowed one from a friend will go and check the voltage of the battery here when it cools down stupid heat wave.

Hunter- They did not clear the codes, so i will have to go and find the freeze frame data. Would that be for the code or what the engine is doing while coding ?
Thank you for the window info!!! it rolled back up last night thankfully. I may have to end up sending it off to be rebuilt then(never knew of that option! again thank you) if it continues.
Do you have to be a waherhouse to use them or will they do it for the general public???

I really really like this truck, and would rather fix issues than get rid of it.

Thank you guys for all the info and help its really appreciated.

JP

Last edited by jp1985; 08-01-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 AM

JP, freeze frame data is a snapshot of the certain engine parameters recorded at the moment when the malfunction code was set. It is always stored when the Check Engine light goes on. Even most basic code readers should have an option to see the FF data. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to view it on a specific reader - they are all different. Just look for FF or Freeze Frame Data or More Information, etc.
I've seen some parts stores read the codes from the vehicle, then plug the reader into their computer and give you a full printout with P0XXX numbers, description and freeze frame data for each code they've scanned.

As far as Repair and Return service - it is for regular consumers. It is a very good option for Mitsubishi owners, since there are not too many aftermarket parts available and thus not too many "core" returns to the rebuilders to restock the rebuilt parts. You can always contact them ahead of time to make sure you know what you need to do. I was very skeptical when I first learned of this option, but it worked absolutely great.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 AM

battery is fully charged it read 12.59 and then when i held better it read full voltage at 12.6.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM

OK yeah looks like it's probably not the battery then.. I'd continue with Hunter's directions than and get the additional data.