Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New owner of Montero Limited 2003 need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Smile New owner of Montero Limited 2003 need advice!

Hi,
new owner of 2003 Montero Limited V6 engine. All the best!

Please advise what oils & quantity you guys use for:

1. Transmission (was told 10l SP3 by the dealer and silicone as gasket );
2. Differential;
2. Engine.

I will be changing the belt & water pump very soon too.

Last: My cruise dash lamp is always on & also the right wheel on the rear differential (this will disappear after 50-100km highway only...), any opinion?

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by Nikoni; 07-07-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:57 AM

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.
As far as fluids go, I'd recommend using ONLY Mitsubishi transmission fluid. Others may work for some time, but they all end up messing things up and causing transmission issues.

For differential you need 80-90 oil for Limited Slip differentials. I assume the 2003 has LSD. I've used both Mitsubishi and non Mitsubishi oils for this and both worked, as long as they are specifically for LSD type differentials.

For engine oil I always use 5-30 oil as per recommendations in the FSM.

The light indicators for rear wheels should always stay on. If they are not, you probably have a burnt out bulb and if one of the lights is going ON/OFF - possibly a bulb loose in the socket.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:12 PM

Thank you HunterD!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:50 PM
DZD

Regarding the cruise light - you have to push the button on the end of it in to toggle it off and on - it will stay on if you've never pushed the button in. It does not reset when the key is off. I had a 2003 now I have a 2006. Love my Monty.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:46 PM

With regards to Transmission fluid, I recently went to the dealer for a fluid change and they used Valvoline Maxlife Transmission fluid vs the Mitsu stuff. After a little research online it seems that it is an acceptable trade per the Valvoline website.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by MrInternational
With regards to Transmission fluid, I recently went to the dealer for a fluid change and they used Valvoline Maxlife Transmission fluid vs the Mitsu stuff. After a little research online it seems that it is an acceptable trade per the Valvoline website.
That is the first time I've heard of a Mitsubishi dealer who would use non-Mitsu fluid for transmission fluid change. I've always used Mitsubishi transmission fluid on my Montero and never had an issue. If you search this and many other Mitsubishi forums, you'll see that many transmission issues are related to using "compatible" fluids. Not saying that this is the true in your case. If I have a choice - I'd stick with what works for sure.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
That is the first time I've heard of a Mitsubishi dealer who would use non-Mitsu fluid for transmission fluid change. I've always used Mitsubishi transmission fluid on my Montero and never had an issue. If you search this and many other Mitsubishi forums, you'll see that many transmission issues are related to using "compatible" fluids. Not saying that this is the true in your case. If I have a choice - I'd stick with what works for sure.
Had I known that the dealer wasn't going to use OEM fluid I wouldn't have bothered driving 30 minutes to the dealer and instead went to my local mechanic down the street. Oh well... I will keep everyone posted if I run into any issues.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
I have a 2005 Montero Ltd with 149K miles, at 105K miles it had trans issues, so I had it rebuilt by a highly respectable trans technician. I purchased a new master kit, new converter, and had the valve body rebuilt. When I went to buy the trans fluid the Mits parts store I go to had the original Mits Trans Fluid @ $11.50/Qt. and if I remember well it uses 11 Qts. Looking for an alternative I came across Castrol Transmax for Imported Vehicles, it is a direct replacement for Mits and many others; it is listed in the bottle label and in their website, that was 40K+ miles ago, and it works like a charm. Also, you can buy it at any auto parts store for approx. $6.50/Qt. Original Mits Fluid is not only expensive, but only available at the dealer or auto parts that sell original Mits parts.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by guangui
...Castrol Transmax for Imported Vehicles, it is a direct replacement for Mits and many others; it is listed in the bottle label and in their website, that was 40K+ miles ago, and it works like a charm....
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 AM
DZD

I've got a 2006 Montero Limited with about 93k on it. Owned since new - no issues encountered. Is the transmission issue "usual" for the Montero's @ 100k? I've kept up with all service intervals at the local Mitsu dealership.

Actually - I do have minor issue - the fog lights stopped working - I think it's the switch as I no longer hear a click when I press it.

Quick Reply: New owner of Montero Limited 2003 need advice!