Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

No RPMs No Codes

Old 07-30-2016, 12:32 AM
Default No RPMs No Codes

My 2003 Montero will randomly shutter and no matter how far i push on the accelerator i have no RPMs, just sits there and idle's,, i can shut the truck off and start it again and it will be ok,, sometimes it takes a few tries,, have had it to a few different shops and they think im making it up lol , so TPS or is there a TPS relay? or any other ideas

Old 08-03-2016, 06:34 PM

Where are you located? A friend of mine with an '05 like mine just had this problem. not the TPS nor it's relay. I called my brother-in-law who is a mechanical engineer that works as road racing car mechanic and drag cars mechanic, plus owns a high end speed shop, said it was the ECU (computer), after my friend's mechanic changing the TPS assembly two (2) times he finally sent the ECU for repairs, and like my brother-in-law said, it was the ECU. It is always good to check the TPS and relay with a multimeter to make sure it is within values. ECU reman is about $200.00. Did you scanned the Montero? A dead giveaway is that it will throw many OBDII Codes, and I mean a lot.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 PM

Thank you for the reply sir, im just west of St.Louis,Mo,, I Did Back Probe the TPS and all was good but not the Relay,,and i did not scan the Truck, Will The Dearler ReFlash a new ecu?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by LorenBateman
Thank you for the reply sir, im just west of St.Louis,Mo,, I Did Back Probe the TPS and all was good but not the Relay,,and i did not scan the Truck, Will The Dearler ReFlash a new ecu?
Not sure if the dealer will reflash, maybe yes. There are many companies on the internet that will do ECU repairs, price for a Montero ECU is around $200.00, plus shipping (not expensive). Go to an Autozone, rent from them a diagnostics tool/computer, they will charge you the price for the item as a security deposit, but will credit/return your deposit when you return it; basically you are loaning for free. If you connect the tool and it gives you multiple codes, probably endless codes, the ECU needs repairs/replacement.