Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Off road mods...anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Default Off road mods...anybody?

I purchased a 2002 Montero limited about 2 years ago and recently have been thinking about doing some off road mods to it and would like to know if anybody has done anything.. lifts..lower gears,lights, bolt-on accessories, etc,and what results they have gotten (pics??). I reviewed this Montero when I bought it and it seems to love being off road...I am not trying to do anything too xtreme,just your avg. weekend warrior stuff. I am thinking it's too heavy...(top-heavy) Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 AM

a stock montero will tackle average offroad track easily if the driver know how to drive offroad.

what u need is a good set of A/T tyres as u only went offroad in the weekend.
if u hav extra money u can buy M/T set and swap it only when u want to go ofroad.
i dont recommend raising the height if u dont go extreme offroading as the long shaft will broke easily depending on the height and shaft angle.

u can also add bullbar where u can mount spotlight.dont forget to mount spotlight at the rear.i found this really helpful when i want to reverse in the jungle darkness.
just remember to choose the right type of spotlight.
if u want, u can add side step.great help when getting into and out of the vehicle.

dont waste money on snorkle sys if u only do knee deep crossing.
if u do water crossing correctly,water wont get into the intake.

I believe my LO47GV offroad track is rougher than yours.
my vehicle setup is:
front bullbar and sidestep.
front Hella Comet 500,single spotlight at the rear(mounted on the spare tyre).
A/T tyre.
other spec is stock.still,it manage to go in and then come out in one piece.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 PM

I have a 94SR and I'm in a very similar situation as you are. I am planning on going from 31 inch by 10.5inch tires to 33 inch by 12.5inch width tires. I mentioned on another post that 4crawler.com has good stuff for body lifts if you would like to fit the bigger tires. Unfortunately with Montys our options are limited, I would say, get what you NEED first, then the accessories that you WANT later. It just looks rediculous if you have all sorts of off road stuff that you don't need.

Gradually, as you begin to do more, you can add stuff as necessary. things like sliders that can double as side steps are cool, in case you don't want to scratch up your frame. Again, just check out 4crawler.com, the guy makes all sorts of stuff for Montys

Old 03-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by lwolfnmonty
I have a 94SR and I'm in a very similar situation as you are. I am planning on going from 31 inch by 10.5inch tires to 33 inch by 12.5inch width tires. I mentioned on another post that 4crawler.com has good stuff for body lifts if you would like to fit the bigger tires. Unfortunately with Montys our options are limited, I would say, get what you NEED first, then the accessories that you WANT later. It just looks rediculous if you have all sorts of off road stuff that you don't need.

Gradually, as you begin to do more, you can add stuff as necessary. things like sliders that can double as side steps are cool, in case you don't want to scratch up your frame. Again, just check out 4crawler.com, the guy makes all sorts of stuff for Montys
Thanks for the site info..I will do all necessities 1st.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 AM

You can also check out www.jaos.com for off road accesories.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM

i found the "old man emu" has a few things for montys.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM

I just chcked out Jaos and it didnt work? im trying to do same stuff i have 2002 Monty XLS. also EMU has stuff but i was looking for blocks like what they have on 4crawler.com but im not good enough to understand what fits my car haha.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM

It is always hard finding good stuff for our vehicles. I really need a good lightbar, got some really cool old JAOS offroad lights, brandnew in the the box, that I want to mount.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM

First off, it's fairly difficult to find after-market support for Gen III rigs in the US.
However, you can get some basic bolt on mods.
Old Man Emu makes a good suspension that gives about an extra two inches in height. You can take it up that much without harm to the angle at the diffs, gear box,etc. Couple that with a set of 31'' MT tires and you're off to a good start.
ARB makes a front bull bar that will accept a winch, lights, and CB whip.
I had to fabricate my own skid plates for the sump and tranny pan. (The plastic plate is a joke, and the tranny skid plate is absent.) I don't plan on changing the gearing on this rig, mostly because I've never had an issue with the off-road performance.
I wouldn't worry about the "top heavy" issue you mentioned. The vehicles width and wheel base make it stable. You should expect the standard Monty, one wheel salute when you start to push it, but you'll get used to it...
These rigs are a lot of fun to drive in the back country.
Just got back from some snow camping in Plumas County last week and were heading to Death Valley next week.
Have Fun.

Last edited by Mr. Z.; 11-17-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:51 AM

i have the arb ome 2" lift on my 01 xls and i love it.