Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

oil in coolant.. where is the tranny oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Default oil in coolant.. where is the tranny oil cooler?

hey yall ! im not a very montero guy.. im more jeep and eclipse saavy.. so this montero has been kicking my *** a little.. I changed the tires for off road tires in the montero and bigger size.. since then it developed a clanking noise on the transmision, so i took it to the dealer (to avoid doing the work) and they could not find any issues.... tipical dealer.. the vehicle gets driven once a year for 2 weeks and then backs to be parked. its a 2006 Mitsubishi Montero 3.8 limited Automatic 6g75 engine i think. it has 90,000 miles on it. im the only owner since new. I have only towed once in its lifetime. and offroad softly.

I decided to start checking everything again and found the radiator hose was sucked ..(like pressure made it collapse (upper radiator hose) and i opened the radiator to find like mud substance, i drained the radiator from the tab on the bottom and looks like oil mixed.. i was wondering if this cars have a oil cooler that uses coolant to cool the oil from factory ? i found one that goes next to the oil filter location but seems in perfect shape and i cant find no hoses that would go to the coolant. the reservoir is completly clogged... it wont drained .
here is some pics

any input or idea.. my guess .. either oil cooler from the tranny (which i dunno where its located ) has a leak of colant and they mixed or headgasket is toasted.. ill check the oil dipstick today.. but seem fine a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by locko; 09-01-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM

It sounds more like a head gasket issue. If transmission fluid was leaking into the coolant then it would turn a strawberry milkshake color.