Go Back   Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums > Mitsubishi Models > Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 PM

Default oil leak

i have a 2000 montero sport i have just purchased. was leaking oil on passenger side so i replaced valve cover gasket. still leaking same side. i see bolt im assuming from exhaust manifold is wet with oil and back of altenator. etc. its getting agitating. oil falling on exhaust which is causing it to smoke and smell. anyone can help
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MitsubishiForum!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Have you ever replaced the front cam seals?
Often when the timing belt (120k service) is replaced, the seals are included in a list of other preventative moves.
Possibly there could be blow back to the exhaust manifold and also hit the rear of the alt.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 PM

The most common cause (by far) for oil leak/smell in these engines is the rear cam plug O-Rings. If you didn't already change them (easy to do) Do a search and there are lots of threads. Check the rear facing end of the head to see if oil is dripping form the plug flanges down onto the exhaust downpipe.

I know this doesn't explain the oil at the front on your alternator - that may indeed be the front cam seals mentioned - but the rear plugs leak almost without exception so you will want to check to see if you have that problem as well.

Ron

Central Ohio
2005 Montero Limited, Sudan Beige Metallic - 77K Miles (Photo Coming Soon)

1999 Montero, Anchorage Gray Metallic -(Sold @ 227K Miles)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Default thanks

thanks to those who helped. i love my truck and want to keep it on the road.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:13 AM

May i know when your vehicle is splitting the oil while in motion or in standing? How many frequent of oil its taking?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:13 PM

when its in motion or running still for a period of time
Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 AM

Almost always the REAR cam seals. Oil on exhaust manifold? Check. Oil on alternator? Check. Rear cam seal. Easy fix. Easier on the 3.5 than the 3.0, but easy nonetheless. This will get you started...

Montero Sport Online Forum - F A Q- Updated 3/12/05
- 1999 4X4 Montero Sport Limited (retired)
- 1997 4x4 Montero Sport XLS (retired)
- 2003 Galant LS (retired)
- Lots of cars and SUVs before that
Old 11-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Since I have had my rig it didn't have any oil leaks that I could see/smell/measure.... until recently I switched to synthetic motor oil. I thought I would get away with it because mine has really low miles but I was wrong. Now I'm reminded of my Harley Shovelhead, leaving its "mark" when I pull away from a parking spot. If OP is using a synthetic that could be adding to the problem.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 PM

thank u very much, stupid question, do u have a better idea where it's located? seems pretty simple, just want to make sure i am removing the right thing. lol. i do better with pictures. thank u again
Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 PM

I had the cam plug o-rings changed/fixed on my 1986 montero. It fixed the oil leak problem! It is for sale now since I do not use it enough.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:03 PM

Tags
2000, bolts, camshaft, caps, end, exhaust, intake, leak, leaking, manifold, mitsubishi, montero, oil, sport, stud