Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Default thanks

thanx for your help. havent addressed oil leak yet. alternator went. boy was that a project. guess if i figured that out can handle anything else lol! very aggravating

Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Arrow to firefighter164, I had alternator fixed on mine

got that fixed along with everything else. All done by private mechanic. For some reason I cannot figure out how to post a picture of it here. I might try to post it on craigs list. Mitsubishi forum was preferable because I wanted it to go to an appreciative home. Any ideas about that? It has rust, but it no longer leaks oil. And it still runs. And it's a 1986 with one owner. And even the air conditioning works. thanks.

and i never-get-stuck!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:21 PM

does anyone know how to replace rear cam seals or o rings. think it is the o rings without pic to compare to i dont know for sure. tryin to fix myself. can anyone help

Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by firefighter164
does anyone know how to replace rear cam seals or o rings. think it is the o rings without pic to compare to i dont know for sure. tryin to fix myself. can anyone help
The rear plug (cam "seal") is just that, a plug that fits into the back of the head where the camshaft is placed into the head. All this plug has is two ears with bolt holes and a grove with an o-ring. I think the bolts (2) are 10 or 12mm and the plug slides out (or pried out). Replace o-ring and OIL THE O-RING so it does not get nicked or pinched. I see this all the time working on aircraft with hydraulic o-rings. My lazy butt needs to do my cam seals, front and rear (I have old carpet under my Monty). The alternator should take 15 mins to change, unless it is hot (I'm a pro at it).

Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Default fixed the oil leak problem

now over 173,000+ miles of never getting stuck in anything anywhere anytime

if you can get those gaskets changed, then you too will keep on trucking

they are in there somewhere, maybe you can see the other new parts as well, which look...well..they look new in comparison to the rest of the engine and it's probably obvious to the mechanically inclined.

since i sit here:

i cannot really point them out to you, but keep on going with your montero and it will keep on going for you. mine will be a deduction unless another montero afficicionado wants it for himself or herself.

what a terrific truck! i actually still have the spare tire cover but it is off because a horse pulled it off, and it has a few stab wounds in it from some kids "fooling around" when it was parked outside a downtown city hospital.
Best regards!
p.s.: i even have the chilton's manual!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM

this is really turning into a pain. can anyone advise why oil would leak from 2 valve cover screws? the actual top of the screw is wet and right under the head of it. definitely leaking from the screw. this is really getting ridiculous. does anyone know??

Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Default This thread helped me fix my oil leak

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It helped me not only pin point the location of my oil leak that I had ignore through 2 alternators, countless quarts of oil and a smelly engine, but you guys also helped me make the repair myself for cheap.

Seriously...Thanks!

Treeluva

~98 Montero 3.5L @181K miles

Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Default 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

I just wanted to say this post has helped SO much! I've been through 3 mechanics, 5 years and 10 alternators! The first alternator was replaced 5 years ago! Since them, one would only last about 6 months. NO one could figure this out. My husband is no mechanic, however; I was determined to find the issue....knowing it was deeper than "you got a bum alternator". I don't owe anything on 'Ruby' but nickel and diming me along with the inconvenience is horrific. Last week, the final straw, was the $185 tow bill from my office to the mechanic some 50 miles away! She has 245,000 miles on it and I plan to deliver her back to the mechanic as soon as he gets back from spring break because she does 'use' oil. Idling and then take off, she blows smoke out the tailpipe and randomly, quick stops or swerves, you get a burned oil smell in the truck. My husband (did I mention he's no mechanic?) said she just uses oil...never, ever drips on the driveway or garage floor. We go thru about a quart per week. I drive approximately 1,000 per week so I never got real concerned, especially since there was no leakage. Apparently, from what I'm reading, she is leaking, oil is hitting alternator causing the failure. Do you all agree with that? Where does the oil go that it doesn't drip? I was seriously ready to put a for sale sign in the window and move on down the road, but really wanted to keep her for my teenage daughter about to hit the streets. Advise is appreciated.....Whits end here!