Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

oil pressure issue kill my pascience...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Default oil pressure issue kill my pascience...

Hi to all. The engine is a 4G54. 1987 Montero

First was a oil and water mixture due to cylinder head oxidation. So, I buy a new cylinder head with valves and springs from Odessa. Swapping the cam notice the cam has attrition on the journals and I though was due to the oil/water mixture. Then, buy a new cam from Odessa. Install all back and friend of mine notice the oil pressure at 60psi. Pedals down and still at 60psi. Drain the oil and notice metal particles. Remove the valve cover and the new cam and rockers were severely damage. After that I install a new oil pump, chains kit, adjustable rockers and a third cam. Start the engine and the oil pressure still low. Install a new oil pressure unit sender and now the oil pressure goes to 60psi at idle and when pedal down goes to 20psi. Remove the valve cover and looks some attrition on the third cam. I really want to burn the frikin SWB. I was really frustrated/anger. Any advise will be appresiated

Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM

In every instance that I have installed a new cam, I've always installed new lifters

In every instance there is a "run in or break in" process for the new parts (instructions should be with the parts)

This is to prevent "galling" or burning of the new components.

it's only a machine, take a few breaths and fix it slowly and carefully - following ALL instructions

If it were me, I'd pull it apart and start over, cleaning and inspecting EVERYTHING,
take your time now so you don't get surprised later.

Or dump it at a loss

luck,greg

Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the comments. Ask to a Mitsu mechanic and he said that behavior looks like a crankshaft bearing leak.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 AM

UPDATE...

I install a brand new Marshall mechanical pressure gauge beside the sending unit and the oil pressure reading is near 100psi at idle. I increase the oil pump pressure with a #10 washer so the reading could be real.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:46 AM

I've never heard of "crankshaft bearing leak"..........?

Some background on me ---- I engine swapped the first time in 1962 (I was 13yrs old) with my dad

I was stick welding @12 yrs old

I've been a mechanic for GM, Mercedes, been to most of their schools

I was a paid mechanic since I was 15 (1965ish) until retiring in 2006

Nuf' about that

Generally, don't get caught up in oil pressure numbers, the rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 rpm

100psi at idle makes me nervous - 15 on a used engine - 30 on a new engine (when "cold") is more normal.

I am unfamiliar with the washer (I assume it raises the spring pressure on the oil pump pressure relief valve)

I know it's infuriating (been there many times) but I feel something is being overlooked

As I've said before, machines don't think - they're not out to make you miserable - take a deep breath, do your research, fix it right, you'll be much happier in the long run

Just my thoughts

luck,greg