Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Passenger side valve cover leaking--What is involved in replacing gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Default Passenger side valve cover leaking--What is involved in replacing gasket

Anyone on the list ever replaced the valve cover gaskets on the 95 Montero LS? I have an oil leak on the passenger side valve cover, Just a quick look the other day when washing the motor to look for leaks......looked like it might be another partial engine dismantel to remove the valve covers.

Brian

Old 05-23-2005, 10:11 AM
pc
Default RE: Passenger side valve cover leaking--What is involved in replacing gasket

If my 92 is any indication you will need to remove at least the throttle body if not the intake plenum, the alternator and a sundry of other parts on top. I don't think you'll need to remove the timing belt covers as long as the 3.0L is about the same as the 3.5L. I've had a minor leak (weep mostly) on both my valve covers for years. Very slight and no measurable oil loss. I have avoided fixing it due to the labor involved and wanted to wait until I needed a valve job when everything needs to come off anyway. If the leak is not a big deal I would live with it, and that's from someone who hates oil leaks. A little water based solvent and a water hose takes care of the oil buildup. The valve covers, in addition to a gasket, may need some sealant on the corners. Are you due for a new timing belt? If you do it yourself it may be a good time to get to the valve covers??

Old 05-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Default RE: Passenger side valve cover leaking--What is involved in replacing gasket

If you need to change the valve cover gasket you will need to remove the intake plenum. If you do that you might as well change the spark plugs.

Your leak might be from the "rear cam plug seals". This leak is often mistaken for a valve cover leak. It is a little plug at the rear of the head. It is a known issue with these engines. They are difficult to change. I had my dealer do it for about $200.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Well - I think that I might have the problem that winshawn talks about. I tightened down the passenger side valve cover to the proper torque since all bolts were loose on my 03, 70k mile montero. Im assuming that the valve cover bolts will loosen over time. Cleaned motor and still getting oil leak. It appears that the leak is coming from a piece that is bolted to the motor where the OHV cam probably stops at the rear of the engine. The piece is held in place with 2 12 mm bolts. It seems oil is leaking from this area.

Can you guys confirm that under this piece is a "rear cam plug seal"? Fortunately, there is easy access to the passenger side bolts to take it out. Is it a gasket or seal? What is involved with replacing? Maybe I can just use form-a-gasket and button everything up again?

Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Change the gasket. Its super easy. Just make sure you dont crack it when you bolt it down again.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the information. Nosing around the web, I found the following thread - and many of the same guys on this board - have good information with pics:
http://www.msport97.proboards6.com/i...e=1#1188948752

I will replace the oring and also use high temp RTV for good measure.

Does anyone know the proper torque for the 2 12 mm bolts? The link above doesnt mention it, I dont want to crack aluminum!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 AM

I finally found the torque spec - 120 in-lbs on the 12mm bolts. Funny the Mitsu service manual says to use the RTV in combination with o-ring replacement. The user OZMS in the link I provided describes the process perfectly. Due to the tight clearance I had to use a crows foot on my 3/8 torque wrench - but it is possible on the passenger side. Keep in mind that using a crows foot with torque wrench will force you to exert more torque on the bolt (more leverage) so dial the torque back to 110 in-lbs.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: tj90

I finally found the torque spec - 120 in-lbs on the 12mm bolts. Funny the Mitsu service manual says to use the RTV in combination with o-ring replacement. The user OZMS in the link I provided describes the process perfectly. Due to the tight clearance I had to use a crows foot on my 3/8 torque wrench - but it is possible on the passenger side. Keep in mind that using a crows foot with torque wrench will force you to exert more torque on the bolt (more leverage) so dial the torque back to 110 in-lbs.
Did You get to fix the the oil leak? just wonder 'cause I have exactly the same problem on my '02 limited, with only 70,000 miles on it and just notice last week about it. I thougt it was the valve cover gasket, but you guys save a lot of $$ and head aches.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 AM

Does anybody know the 0 ring part # for a 02 montero limited? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Banned

No... you make them finger tight then turn them a quarter turn. Or else you will crack it

Quick Reply: Passenger side valve cover leaking--What is involved in replacing gasket