Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

question on mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Default question on mileage?

HI I am wondering what is high mileage and low mileage for a 01' montero sport. I have my eye on one for $8995 with 96,922 miles on it. What is the probabilty on it lasting for at least 5 years and lasting 150,000 if doing the required oil changes ect. to keep the maintanence up. How long have your montero sports lasted for high mileage when kept up well with regular maintence and what problems have arisen past 100k? This is in my price point and want this vehicle to last as I am starting on a family and need this to be reliable. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 AM

When I sold my 1999, which I had purchased new, it had over 210,000 miles on it. No major repairs other than a couple exhaust manifolds, oxygen sensors, and normal service items.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:44 PM

I wouldn't have any qualms about 96K miles on a Montero if and this is a "BIG IF" the truck has a verifiable service history. It should have recently (@60K or later) had a new timing belt, water pump and spark plugs and wires. If not you will need to do these right away. Like Challenger4x4, I've only had minimal problems with the engine and transmission and am now at 207K.

I don't know where you are or what level (e.g. Ltd?) Sport you are talking about but that price seems out of line (high) to me even for a well-maintained highly optioned Sport. Check edmunds.com for a more realistic price guide than Kelly BB.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by jrmdir
I wouldn't have any qualms about 96K miles on a Montero if and this is a "BIG IF" the truck has a verifiable service history. It should have recently (@60K or later) had a new timing belt, water pump and spark plugs and wires. If not you will need to do these right away. Like Challenger4x4, I've only had minimal problems with the engine and transmission and am now at 207K.

I don't know where you are or what level (e.g. Ltd?) Sport you are talking about but that price seems out of line (high) to me even for a well-maintained highly optioned Sport. Check edmunds.com for a more realistic price guide than Kelly BB.

Thanks jrmdir what is a reasonable price on such mileage and thanks for your response on it lasting quite a while if well taken care of. That definately gives me piece of mind!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Sorry, I'm no expert on Montero Sport pricing and without knowing the condition and trim level there's no way I can even guess. It just seemed high to me. Maybe some SPort owners who have recently sold or bought can be of more help. But like I said the best srouce for value based on national sales is edmunds.com.

Good luck - and make double sure about the service history!

Ron

Old 06-13-2010, 06:18 AM

hi,

yes i agree that price is way to high, i just bought a 02 sport XLS in mint condition with only 60,000 miles on it for 6,500. of course this was not from a dealer and the guy wanted 7,800. if you are buying from a dealer you can expect to pay a couple thousand more, as dealers are the biggest ripoff's there is.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM

I agree, I keep my eyes on the Sports for my kids and the miles/price seem high. I'm in Dallas.

There are LOTS of them out there... Craigslist has bucket loads down here.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:03 PM

http://www.cartrek2.com/cars.aspx?s=...&model=Montero Sport 4x4&inv=621&vin=JA4MT31H31P019921&total=30&pos=4&c urrent=3&size=10

I wish I could find bucket loads where I am lol...I am not sure what the trim level on it is because the pic of the back end where it would say is angled funny...I looked it up on nada for the xls model and it came to $7760 for the high end and I was thinking of coming in at with an offer of $7775. What are your guys thoughts on that price with that much mileage? I definatly like the color. I have not yet asked them about it but I thought if I was ready and prepared with an offer ect... and looking at the carfax report first.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by jrmdir

I also wanted to know if that much mileage matters on a montero limted as well? I like the styling of both but gas mpg on the sport but wondering if the same miiles on a montero limited will last me 5years plus if well taken care of before hand and from there on? I'm seeing where I can get a good deal on either or is why I am asking

Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 AM

From what I have heard the Limited can go 200k plus also, just have to keep up on the timing belt and maintain it.

With our tax return this year I am having them to the 100k maintanence and then replace the a/c compressor, power steering pump and hoses, and maybe the rack just so I don't have to worry about it for another 100k.

Quick Reply: question on mileage?