Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Replace Subwoofer in 2003 Montero with Infinity Sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Default Replace Subwoofer in 2003 Montero with Infinity Sound

Hey Everyone,
I apparently just blew out my subwoofer in my 2003 Montero with the Infinity sound, I was wondering if anyone knew of where I could get a replacement or at least the specs of the one I need to replace. I got the sub out and wondering if people had tried things like, what debt. etc...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by Vanquished; 04-06-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 PM

unless you find it at a junkyard expect to pay premium price for an obsolete sub.

also the labor JUST TO GET to the sub to replace it with the weak stock one just doesn't seem justified.

i suggest getting aftermarket, search my threads. i can go in to further detail but i covered it a lot on other threads.

also should be same from 01+ (until mitsu stopped the montero here in the USDM market)

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Hey!
I already got the sub out, we're replacing it myself. I tried finding the same sub (no luck obviously), instead i just bought semi-shallow mount polk 8 inch.
Don't have specifics on the amp but I'll cross that bridge when i get there as to if I'm gonna need a different amp.
Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Hey Everyone, Just thought I'd update you all on the situation (and for future users). I replaced my stock sub with a Polk DB840 8 inch subwoofer. I used the amp that came in the car (infinity) and the sub which is 4 inches deep fit fine depth-wise, it also fit fine diameter-wise but we did have to drill new holes since the one that came out had a more squarish mounting bracket.
Been using it for about a week and its running perfectly. You'd probably get more kick out of it if you upgraded the amp but I figured I'd give it a shot without doing so and it works better than the stock infinity sub did and sounds crisp while still packing a bit of a punch (especially if you're sitting in the trunk )
I bought the sub from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 for $50 bucks

Took me about an hour and a half of labor, all told pulling apart the side panel, replacing the sub, and re-fastening the side panel.

Cheers!

Last edited by Vanquished; 04-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Nice job. I used the 2-ohm 8inch Kicker. Sounds great.