Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Replacing Fuel Pump Assembly 97 Montero LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Question Replacing Fuel Pump Assembly 97 Montero LS

I developed a leak in the metal fuel line at the top of the fuel pump assembly located at the top of the fuel tank. I purchased a fuel tank assembly from a salvage company online. Was told the pump was pulled from a 1997 Montero but the salvaged unit does not look exactly like the one pulled from my 1997 Montero LS.

The assembly I pulled out of my Montero has a pressure sensor (MD322973) mounted on the top cap of the fuel pump assembly - the salvaged unit does not have a place to mount the pressure sensor. A friend/mechanic told me that I can likely use the unit without the pressure sensor but the check engine light will remain on. Is that plausible? I'm thinking of installing it to find out if if works even if just for long enough to find a better replacement.

Next question. There are two metal fuel lines at the top of the assembly, one has a rubber hose slipping over the metal fuel line - no problem there. The second line connects to a rubber line that has a threaded fitting on the end. Neither side of the fitting swivels freely, meaning that as I screw the fitting on to the fixed metal line the hose becomes twisted. It seems like a blacksmith's puzzle. The hose is not long enough to attach before inserting the pump assembly in the tank. How can I connect the line without twisting and damaging the rubber fuel line?

When I removed the old pump assembly I simply broke off the already leaking metal line - so it's not as easy as just reversing the steps I used to pull the assembly.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Default 97 Montero LS fuel pump replacement

I find myself staring at the same situation. It appears the high pressure steel fuel tube out of the top of the pump assembly has a threaded fitting that is brazed to the tube so it cannot turn. Connected to that is a short rubber hose with fittings at each end. QUESTION 1; Do the fittings on the end of the rubber hose turn so the hose can be removed? I suspect that is the case but would like confirmation before I start down that road. QUESTION 2; What is the part number of that hose? I have the mitsubishi ASA parts diagram software but am having trouble figuring out which hose it is from the drawings and the descriptions. I'd like to have that part in hand before I attempt this repair in case I destroy it and I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to replace it in any case. At 262K the original fuel pump is on its way out. Surely someone has done this that has insight?? Thanks for any help you can offer-

Old 10-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Default 97 montero LS fuel pump replacement

So I just finished installing the fuel pump. The fitting on the metal tube (high pressure side) that comes out of the fuel pump assembly is indeed brazed to the tube. The fitting on the rubber hose assembly does turn. You MUST have a 14mm wrench on the tube fitting or you will twist it off and need a complete assembly which is big $$ new. A 19mm is used on the hose fitting along with a vice grips to hold the crimp so the hose does not turn when you turn the 19mm fitting.I soaked the fitting with Kroil for a week and that still did not allow it to come loose.I ended up having to use a small amount of heat on the rubber hose fitting (used a pin point tip on my MAP torch) and it finally came loose. Normal cautions apply here please. I packed thermal seal (the stuff used for welding) around the whole area and heated only until it came loose. I also did it outside with lots of ventilation). Installing the new Denso pump and strainer is like every other pump I've put in- no big deal. The inside of the tank is clean and I do not see any rust at all. At 262k this thing runs strong and the rest of the truck is in pretty good shape. It does use about a quart of 10/30 Mobil 1 every 1000 miles but I figure it's cheap insurance against rod bearing failure at this point (knock on wood).

Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 PM

thanks guy, despite your incredible lack of paragraphs, you seem to have solved your own problem, and you bothered to come back and document it for the next person who actually bothers to do a search for it.

you've made the internet a better place, have a beer.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Default English Major

At list I kin spel