Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Second (rear) seat fold troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Default Second (rear) seat fold troubles

I have an 03 limited with a rear seat folding issue. Its always been a problem but it seems to be getting worse. Whenever I try to fold up the 2nd seat, the seatback will fold down properly, but it will not lift in the up position. I used to be able to slam the seat down and try again and it would work, now nothing. I consulted the manual and followed the directions with no help. Ive siliconed the lever and engagement mechanism at the bottom. Is there an adjustment that I can make? The problem is on the double bench side. The single seat seems to work as its supposed to...

THanks,
TJ

Old 01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Default RE: Second (rear) seat fold troubles

I think I fixed the problem -

Take the bottom seat cover off (about 10 phillips screws) and you will find a cable adjustment. The one cable looked loose so I tightened tghe slack out of it. Now you dont have to slam anything@@@!!!!!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 AM
Default seat cover removal

whre are the screws you are referring to? how do you access them

Old 10-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Default yes i need to know this too

how did u fix yours. mine has not worked since i bought the car

Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Default Montero rear seats

Me, too. Where do you access the screws to remove the seat cushion?

Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Probably could benefit from the seat removal process as well. Granted I have the opposite problem in that I can only fold down the seat but can't roll it forward.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Default Montero rear seat tilt/fold

Figured out the process for tilting the 2nd row seat forward for the 2002 Montero. (1) Use only the slide release on the seat back - NOT the handle lever by the seat bottom (2) Do NOT fold the seat back completely down on to the seat bottom (3) Slide/hold the release on the seat back with one hand - fold the the seat back just 20% or so - then grab underneath, behind the seat bottom with the other hand and lift. The seat should easily roll up and over.

Ha! I have the owner's manual and still couldn't figure it out. I hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by steakster
Figured out the process for tilting the 2nd row seat forward for the 2002 Montero. (1) Use only the slide release on the seat back - NOT the handle lever by the seat bottom (2) Do NOT fold the seat back completely down on to the seat bottom (3) Slide/hold the release on the seat back with one hand - fold the the seat back just 20% or so - then grab underneath, behind the seat bottom with the other hand and lift. The seat should easily roll up and over.

Ha! I have the owner's manual and still couldn't figure it out. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the heads up. I will give this a try.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Default Than you!!

Thank you very much!! Since I got my Montero I was trying to figure out a way to move or slide my 2nd seat row forward and finally got it.

thanks again!

Old 05-22-2017, 12:31 AM
DZD

UNBELIEVABLE! I've had this issue for years where I sometimes (more often than not) could not fold the passenger side rear seat all the way forward. I could fold the back part down - but would often not be able to get it to flip up.

With these instructions - I can now do it EVERY single time. THANK YOU!

Quick Reply: Second (rear) seat fold troubles