Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Shopping around for a mitsubishi montero

Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Default Shopping around for a mitsubishi montero

Hi, I am shopping around for either a 00-04 montero or montero sport. I have also have had my eye on the endeavor. I have done a few research items on all three and love the look of all 3. Wondering if anyone can tell me as a owner of any of them what kind of gas mileage you averaged and any problems and questions to ask when looking for my vehicle? Which year is better to buy with less problems. I would love to hear all your feedback on any of those suvs. The only thing I don't like about the endeavor is that it's hard to find one in my area with a sunroof and the audio player is not upgradeable.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 AM

can anyone at least tell me what they averaged in gas mileage for their montero? I currently drive a 04' ford mustang and was hoping to get around the same of mixed driving 21miles mpg.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 AM

good luck with that, the montero gets **** gas mileage by today's standards, youll be getting as advertised on the window sticker when it was new..... if it was maintained properly.. 15-18mpg

Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM

True, true , true...

I don't own my Monty for the great gas mpg.

I own it for the seating (seven) which works with kids and kid's friends,
the excellent 4x4 system (LSD), one of the best transmissions on the market for 4-wheel drives, great suspension (that's easy to upgrade), the smooth ride, good handling, ect...

This is an excellent rig for family off-roading!

Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 PM

My 94 Montero has a burnt valve (#2) and still gets 14 MPGs. Once fixed I hope to get it back to 20 MPGs like it did before the valve went out.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 PM

Not looking for great gas mileage as i already know suvs dont get great mpg but was wondering if you got around 20-21 overall i drive mixed and currently get 21 in my 04' mustang. I like the style and cargo space the montero offers as well as the price. So wondering what people averaged what problems to look for

Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM

I love my rig, I bought her new in 94 and this is the first major expense problem. I think that Mitsubishi makes a great vehicle and would recommend one to anyone. Good luck in your search, hope you find one that is loved like mine is.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM

My mpg can run anywhere from 16-21 mpg, depending on what tires are on the rig at the time. Right now I have a fairly aggressive MT, so I'm running towards the lower end.

My Monty has over 100K and I've had only a few repairs. The main seal was leaking at about 65K, and the brake boost accumulator was replaced (factory recall).

Everything else, I consider normal wear-and-tear repairs.
brakes, fluids, belts, ect...

Great overall rig!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
My mpg can run anywhere from 16-21 mpg, depending on what tires are on the rig at the time. Right now I have a fairly aggressive MT, so I'm running towards the lower end.

My Monty has over 100K and I've had only a few repairs. The main seal was leaking at about 65K, and the brake boost accumulator was replaced (factory recall).

Everything else, I consider normal wear-and-tear repairs.
brakes, fluids, belts, ect...

Great overall rig!

Mr Z. What type of tires do u normally have that gave a 21 mpg?

Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM

When I first bought my Monty it had a standard all-season street tire.
We got around the high end of the range on the highway.

Ever since I wore through those, I've always run a fairly aggressive A/T or M/T.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shopping around for a mitsubishi montero