Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

slow voltage drop then back to normal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Default slow voltage drop then back to normal

For the last couple of days when I'm driving home the dashboard, headlights, etc. will slowly get dimmer and dimmer. Then the radio turns off. Then the SRS and other idiot lights come on.

So I pull over and stick it in neutral and wait a minute or so. Then all of the sudden everything comes back on and it's back to normal.

I'm thinking alternator. I've replaced the alternator twice in the last three years. Do montero sports eat alternators that badly or is there something specific to my car that could be prematurely killing them?

Old 02-18-2011, 09:01 AM

Looks like it's probably oil contamination that's causing the string of bad alternators. Found someone else say that the front cam seal leaks oil directly onto the alternator and ruins it. This sounds like my issue since I definitely have a leaky valve cover. It's not a stretch to think that the cam seal needs replacing as well. I've been putting it off. I guess it's time to break out the tools and start replacing gaskets/seals.