Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

stalling please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:56 PM
Default stalling please help!

I bought a 00 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3 months ago it ran fine but needed a tune up (oil change, filter, spark plugs and wires) in the process they noticed my valve cover gasket and intake gaskets all needed replaced so its all back together starts right up sits in any gear (park, drive, reverse etc) just fine but soon as it actually starts driving it stalls! Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:49 AM
Default Oil killed your alternator?

Originally Posted by keri85
I bought a 00 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3 months ago it ran fine but needed a tune up (oil change, filter, spark plugs and wires) in the process they noticed my valve cover gasket and intake gaskets all needed replaced so its all back together starts right up sits in any gear (park, drive, reverse etc) just fine but soon as it actually starts driving it stalls! Any ideas on what's wrong with it?
Are the Batt and Brake light coming on? I have same vehicle and had to replace the starter last week and then had issues of the vehicle stalling out and all kinds of Lights coming on and off on the dash cluster and went to the parts store the battery load test showed that the battery was bad but my alternator was working fine after putting a new battery and all the lights went off and everything works great for a total of about 12 hours until the battery ran down and the same thing happened the vehicle stalled and the battery light and brake light came on I replace the battery as it was only 8 hours 12 hours old everything worked again however I have to charge the battery every night and can't drive too far from home or it will happen again I found out that this is a common problem due to valve cover gaskets leaking and the front camshaft seal leaking the obvious answer is to replace the alternator and fix the oil leak so it doesn't happen again as you know that takes a lot of money and time and it's an older vehicle I don't want to take that kind of money back into it so I did some research and found that it is a common problem with this vehicle and that a company called Motor Parts of America or MPA makes a remanufactured and brand new alternator both of which come with a oil spill shield. Here is a YouTube video link that talks about it I believe you can buy it at Advance Auto Parts, good luck!

https://youtu.be/RhFoFSe1A3U

Old 09-17-2016, 07:49 AM

No lights on (well the check engine is now)! I heard that they could have I've messed up putting the intake gasket it and over torqued it! Idk its all becoming a pain! I've checked everything else I'm at a loss here!

Old 09-18-2016, 05:42 PM

Check Engine Light is on - what is the code? That will give you a starting point. My guess you have a sensor unplugged or possibly spark plug wires crossed over.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 PM

How do I know if the wires are crossed?

Old 09-19-2016, 05:28 PM

Check the numbers on the intake plenum. They show where each wire form the coil is supposed to go to. #1 cylinder is passenger side front of the vehicle, #2 is front on driver side, then 3,4,5 and 6 as the cylinders go.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:04 AM

Ok thanks I will check that this evening!