Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Starting / Running problems 1989 Raider

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Default Starting / Running problems 1989 Raider

Hello everyone,

I am new here and would like to request some input on a problem I am having with my'89 Dodge Raider 6 Cyl.

Last year my Raider was driving fine, I stopped to eat for an hour, got out to the ride and it wouldn't turn over. Towed it home and ended up replacing fuel pump, plugs, wires, rotor cap, coil, and fuel filter over many months trying to get my Raider to run again. I could sometimes get it to run, but it was really chuggy and rough. It would only run for 1-2 min max, but really rough. If I turned it off and tried to restart it, it seemed to not start for several hours after.

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and in the process tore the O-ring for it. It snowed the next day and I let her sit. Now, a year later I am finally getting back to working on it again. Tonight, I got a new O-ring and got everything back together. It's a miracle, she started and idled fine, for 5-10 minutes. I turned her off to check fluids, and the brake fluid was really low. Went to the store to get some, maybe an hour or so, and now same thing, she wont start. Any ideas???? I am not super car savvy, but am trying my best to learn and figure this out. Thank you in advance for the help, it is greatly appreciated!!

Eric

Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 AM

WHY did you swap all that sh't out??

Loose electrical connection.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM

I did go through a ton of wiring, fuses, and plugs last year as well. Honestly I replaced all of those things due to a friend who is a "car guy".

This morning I went out to look at it, it would not even crank. After a dozen or so tries it cranked and turned over just fine, idled good. Turned it off and now it cranks but no start. Could it be the relay by the ECU? It makes some clicking sounds. Otherwise any suggestions on where to look in the wiring? Thank you so much!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 PM

Here is a video of the Raider after getting it started when it dies out. Maybe this will help.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:21 PM

clicking but no start is a starter /solenoid issue.

Wiring from battery to ignition barrel to starter.
Also check everything that needs on, fuel pump etc.
I also suspect a spark issue. So go through the ignition system.

And get a better friend. Anyone who tells you to replace parts without a diagnosis certainly wont be going near my car.