Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 03:27 AM
Default stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes

engine 6G74 3.5L V6 GDi.... 2002 Pajero 75W

In the process of cleaning my rockers... whilst still on the vehicle

The air Intake manifold is off as well as the rocker covers.... I want to clean out as much oil residue as I can from the rocker area without taking the cylinder heads off ( I know I should but I am trying to avoid this).... I should say that the sump is also off.

I thought I could move the rockers and clean them and then clean the rockers area of the cylinder head.

The issue I have is that the cylinder head incorporates holes for the spark plugs but particularly air holes for the air intake manifold?.

What problems am I facing getting any residue oil or sludge or anything down these air holes...

I did read that with the sump off I could clean that rocker area and try and drain everything whilst draining through the sump area. I may even try some sort of diesel or other solvent wash with compressed air and a fine nozzle on the rockers area?

Any of you guys have an idea how to protect these holes?

Any help is as always very much appreciated

Thanks

Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 AM

Rubber plugs ? Cork plugs ? Plastic wrap? (the stuff from the food store to cover pots.)

Old 06-18-2016, 06:51 AM

With the rocker shaft assemblies removed, all valves will be closed.

The oil side of the head (volume under the valve cover) does not have access to the combustion chamber or ports. I used masking tape to cover the open ports where the upper plenum bolts to the intake manifold.

The "holes" you see on the interior of the head are about 3/8 to 1/2" in diameter. These are the oil drain back holes. This allows the oil spray from the rockers to run back thru mating passages in the block to the sump.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:21 AM

... so if I use gaffer or masking tape to close off the all the holes (which basically run in a straight line).. i.e. the air intake ports and the spark plug ports....

Then remove the rockers....

I should be ok to exercise a thorough clean and use those "drain" holes you mention, to drain all my cleaning solution (diesel or mineral spirits) down to the sump.... that sounds logical?

I may use those same holes (oil drain holes) with a high pressure feed through a pipe and force diesel etc down these to clear any sludge.... make sense?

Old 06-19-2016, 06:00 AM

I think that this car has broken me ....

I have the GDi type of 6G74 engine which doesn't have the normal rockers and rocker shaft assembly (where you normally can just remove the rocker covers and then the rocker shafts WITHOUT touching the camshaft or timing etc...)

Mine has the large Beam Camshaft Caps and what appears to be no rocker "shaft".

from the workshop manual it looks like I do have to take the camshafts off and camshaft oil seals... but I cant really tell if I need to remove timing belt etc....

I have undone all the bolts ON TOP of this Beam Camshaft Cap (20 around the outside and 3 running though the centre)... but its stuck fast... are there any other bolts on the sides or at the back I need to undo?... I cant see any.

I know this Beam Camshaft Cap has strong sealant.... is that what holding it tight? If so... how to I break the seal?

Remember, i am trying to effectively clean this without removing the camshaft or especially, no to muck around with the timing as thats where my expertise ends.

This is proving very difficult to do as home.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 AM

I have no experience with your GDI engine.

Attached are some pics of mine that I labeled just now from memory. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes-intake-manifold-ports-covered-tape.jpg   stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes-cylinder-head-valve-cover-removed.jpg   stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes-cylinder-head-rocker-shafts-cam-removed.jpg   stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes-cylinder-head-flame-face.jpg   stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes-block-oil-drain-back-passages.jpg  

Old 06-19-2016, 07:00 AM

Thanks Larry

Your engine is what I was hoping mine would be like.... alas no

I am still going to persevere as I don't really have a choice

Old 06-19-2016, 09:43 PM

Cool you have a diesel version. I'm waiting for one to come around for a decent price.

So why do you want to clean it so deeply?

If I can't see what I'm cleaning I'd be cautious. Have a snake camera?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:18 AM

I think its a diesel block yes, but I have a petrol engine. (I have been told thats how this GDi is)

Its completely my fault as I never changed the oil so I am getting rid of sludge (a lot) which has built up and I assume has blocked oil ways as the low oil pressure warning light came on constantly (even a new one)

This car is terrible to work on ... just to get the sump off you have to remove the diff and exhaust.... and you cant change the spark plugs without virtually stripping the top half of the engine... Labour alone just to change plugs is huge here as it takes a day.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:14 AM

I have now pretty much done a good job in cleaning the rocker area .... the oil drain holes are free as anything i put any liquid in the rockers it flows down to sump area nicely

As my car has the Beam Camshaft Caps I think i know where the small holes are to let oil in to the rockers.... have shoved small wires through as I can.

I have done my best under the car to clean out the area where the Oil Pressure switch goes... the oil filter.... the oil pick up in the sump area..... all looks great

However how do I know that oil will actually get to the rockers now?.... obviously I haven't stripped the whole engine but I want to be sure this is all ok before I put all I have taken off, back on again.

I have tried a convoluted high pressure (not that high) spray of petrol and Mineral Spirits up the oil pick up pipe.... ands also the pipe which the oil filter screws on.... to try and see if I can force the solvent through the system and out of the tiny oil holes coming in to the rockers.... nothing...!!

Tried the other way into the these same tiny holes from the rockers and cant tell if its going through.

I am not using a brilliant system and its trial and error but Im trying to see if liquid is getting passed the oil pump?

perhaps Im not using enough pressure?

Any ideas?

Larry I appreciate your brilliant system ... may be beyond the materials I can get here

Thanks

Quick Reply: stopping bits geeing into Intake manifold holes