Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Sump refuses to come free

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Default Sump refuses to come free

2002 3.5 V6 DGI 75W... engine 6g74

A continuation of other of my threads followed by some great advice has lead me to remove my sump by lowering diff, remove crossmember, remove starter, lift engine etc... The most ridiculous way of removing a sump I have ever seen... my land rover is easier than this.

However, after removing all the bolts the sump REFUSES to come of... its as if its stuck on with superglue...

At the rear section are two bolt holes in the corners where the manual says to screw on a bolt which then tightens again the main engine block and forces the sump off.... tried that on one corner and the corner broke off...!!! main sump still OK but i don't really want to try on the other corner.

Do not want to take the engine out.

My sump is the one piece sump, part number 500995

It seems firmly stuck at the back where the 4 bolts attach to the flywheel end (bolts removed).... but is "loose" at the front towards the radiator as I can get a small screw driver in and slightly wiggle and pry.

I don't really want to force this as aluminium may crack etc... and space to work in is very tight.

Does anyone have any ideas how to free the sump from the block when it seems its just the old sealant holding it there??

Thanks again mightily for help.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:30 PM

My two piece the Jack bolts got the flange just open enough to get a thin blade scraper in (drywall knife) and I then worked my way around. I'm sure you checked but count every bolt you have removed and compare that to the bolt pattern to make sure there is not a bolt still present. My two-piece pan had one less bolt to block than was tapped in the block.

Mine was a PIA to remove and my motor was on an engine stand with pan upright for best access possible. I can't imagine doing that insitu.