Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

tachometer feed

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Default tachometer feed

I just bought a 95 Montero SR and the tachometer is not functioning. It also failed emissions with too high of a gas to air ratio and it has less than spec fuel mileage. I was going through the Chiltons manual and noticed that if there was a malfunctioning camshaft position sensor then it would inject fuel across the board. That would explain the low mileage and high fuel to air ratio and if the cam position sensor was also feeding the Tach signal it would verify my hypothesis. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:32 AM

I also would like to know where the tach signal comes from. Are you sure it is the cam position sensor that provides the tach signal?

What do you mean when you say "inject fuel across the board"? Board? The injectors inject fuel down into the intake manifold (or lower plenum)......do you mean this intake manifold as "the board"?

Here is a pic of the rebuilt injectors mounted to the fuel rail, and ready to install:

There is a hole for each injector, so the assembly just lays right onto the top of the intake manifold (lower plenum):

Picture of it in place, before it was removed for cleaning and rebuilding:

Old 12-03-2022, 06:39 AM

Found pic of injectors installed after cleaning/rebuild......far better than prior pic.

So where would the Crank Position Sensor be on this 1994 Monty LS with a 3.0?:

I only see the oil pressure sending unit below: