Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

traction control will not disengage - monty cant run on dyno :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Default traction control will not disengage - monty cant run on dyno :(

Hi all. I have an 03 monty and its time for smog inspection. The CA smog test requires a dyno run while the exhausts are monitored. I took it to 2 places and they both said that my montero traction control is activated and will not let the motor do the dyno run (the engine is automatically throttled back when accelerator is touched). The tech shut off the skid control button on the center console and the light illuminates indicating that its OFF. Traction control still engages however... Truck is verified to be in 2H so I know its not in AWD or 4WD mode.

Any ideas on why my traction control would be engaged even though its saying its OFF on the dash. The truck is performing correctly according to the manual - the skid control OFF button deactivates >50 mph and it can only be deactivated at a stop.

Id hate to have the traction control "fixed" just so I can pass smog. The manual says that button is for skid control and the manual never explicitely states that traction control can be turned off. Is it possible that the state is wrong assuming that traction control can be turned off? If it is genuinely stuck ON, I dont think that is a big deal. When I get home tonight Im going to try the following:

1) Jack the rear in 2wd mode and verify that traction control is really preventing rear wheels from turning.
2) Reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. Try #1 again.
3) Pull ABS fuse which supposedly disengages traction control. Try #1 again.

Any other ideas or comments?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM

Issue resolved, see my new thread "What Every Montero Owner Should Know When Getting Emissions (smog) Dyno Testing"

Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 PM

Yes, the button in dash is used only to disable the Stability Control/ESP. Traction Control is totally different system and it can't be that easily turned off, but you seem to have solved it already.

ESP helps to control the car if you loose the control at high speed driving. But it's often causing problems when offroading, that's why there is button to turn it off.

Traction Control is used to replace diff locks, and when offroading, it keeps all tires moving if the car is about to get stuck because of open differential.

Last edited by m@s@; 11-25-2009 at 07:24 PM.