Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Transmission problems 2000 Montero Sport NEED HELP

Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Default Transmission problems 2000 Montero Sport NEED HELP

Ok here is what it is doing.

Started having the problems after it was up to normal temperature. Wife was driving around town and she said it started shuttering and all dash lights came on. Shut off for 15 minutes while in a store. When she took off again it seemed fine. Drove home and it sat for another hour or so. Had to go out again and this time it would not shift out of first gear. She never got off our street.

I took it for a drive the next morning and I had NO problems with it. Shifted crisp, quick and with no noise or slipping. I could not get it to replicate or show any problems.

It sat for 2 days then I drove it to Autozone to have computer checked... No codes came back. It ran fine on way there.

When I start to go I put it in gear and feel a hard "thunk" when put into D or R. When I start to go it will not shift out of 1st.

I limp it at 30 mph for about 5 miles (almost to house) when it suddenly drops into the correct gear and runs fine. I speed up and slow down so it would shift and it does like there was no problem at all....

Obviously there is something going on.....

I had it towed to AAMCO to have the "free diagnostic" done and they confirmed what Autozone told me there were no Code problems. They claim to have also tested solenoids and said they were fine. The only thing he said came back was that the transmission overheated. (can that be tested?)

I was told they "need to drop and open it to look at clutches", that they could be bad. $650 for just that. What concerns me is I have never heard of trans clutches being bad and not having any slipping or sluggishness...

Has anyone had or heard of this same problem?

The Montero does have 220,000 miles on it and has been rock solid up till now. I am afraid that I am about to be taken for a ride on this problem...

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM

How is the fluid level? Last time the filter and fluid was changed?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Obakemono
How is the fluid level? Last time the filter and fluid was changed?
I checked fluid level and it was good... Last time changed was around 100,000 miles.

It did not smell burnt nor was it black. It was just a brownish color.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM

All I can say is do a fluid and filter change on it ASAP and see what happens. You might get lucky IF, and that is a big IF, the tranny did not suffer any damage. 100k between fluid changes is wayyyy to long.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Obakemono
All I can say is do a fluid and filter change on it ASAP and see what happens. You might get lucky IF, and that is a big IF, the tranny did not suffer any damage. 100k between fluid changes is wayyyy to long.
I am having the same problem. We changed the filter and fluid and it ran perfect for about one week. Then it went back to not shifting out of first. This time we did get a code saying the transmission is overheating. What could cause that? Thank you for any help.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:17 AM

There are few ways a transmission may overheat. 1. Low fluid level. 2. Some sort of restriction or damage to transmission cooler. Or 3. Worn out clutches that slip. Slippage in clutches would generate excessive heat that may not dissipate quickly enough through fluid. The reason that clutches may start slipping is when main pressure control solenoid is unable to maintain proper pressure to operate the system. Then its a chain reaction from there. Unfortunately its very hard to diagnose AT even with codes. There might be a procedure to test pressure in the system at different operating levels. That may point out if a solenoid is bad or if a pump is failing. But even with that you may not get more useful info. Sorry can't be more helpful with that.