Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Trouble Code P-0403--'96 Montero SR 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Question Trouble Code P-0403--'96 Montero SR 3.5

I am trying to find the cure for this code P0403-I've already replaced the EGR valve, switched to another good PCM(getting same code with both the old and new PCM), and it still shows the code. Is it most likely the EGR vacuum solenoid, or something else? Anyone got any suggestions as to what to look for first, or how to track it down?
Thanks...Jim

Old 06-07-2009, 07:38 PM

The oxygen sensors in your system are reporting an unbalance. This is either because one of them is bad but more likely you will have to replace your catalytic converter (yeah I know that isn't what you wanted to hear).

Old 06-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

P0403 is an egr flow problem. Check the vacuum hoses to the egr valve and egr vacuum solenoid. Also when you had the egr valve off how did the ports look?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM

I didn't even check the ports as I thought that the valve would cure the problem. Suggestions?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a vacuum pump, hook it up to the egr vacuum port and w/ the car running at idle start to apply vacuum. The car should want to stall, if it does the egr ports are not clogged.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM

P0403 is usually an electronic failure of the solenoid itself.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BrokeDad
The oxygen sensors in your system are reporting an unbalance. This is either because one of them is bad but more likely you will have to replace your catalytic converter (yeah I know that isn't what you wanted to hear).
this is COMPLETELY wrong.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 AM

I determined that the solenoid was defective, replaced it, and all seems to be fine now. I want to thank all of you for your assistance in getting it taken care of...Jim

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM

I have a '95 SR (3.5 DOHC) with the same issue. I have been able to find the EGR valve, but everywhere I look I am finding that the solenoid is discontinued (Mits and aftermarket). Any ideas on where I can find the EGR solenoid?

Also, since I diagnosed this issue I simply removed the EGR line and plugged it with a bolt. The car runs like a dream (no trembling at idle). Also passed Oregon emissions with it off. It has not thrown a "check engine" light (I thought it would...). Does anyone see any negative long term effect (besides environmental) to running the car "as is" with EGR not connected? It seems to run great and I am trying to decide whether I want to spend the time and money to fix this issue.

Cheers!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:49 PM

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS MESSAGE FIRST, AS YOU MAY FIND THE INFORMATION AT THE END IS ACTUALLY BETTER.
SUCH AS :

This page shows several available EGR valves, but the one on the second row for $50.99 appears correct to me and this is available from Advance Auto Parts if you have them in your area. Just be sure that the holes line up correctly and the base is correct to fit on yours.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/1995+mit...Search=FIND+IT

Compare the pictures on these sites to be sure which part is the right one as the names for the 2 parts are very similar and confusing. This first part is located behind and below the air filter housing.

The other part is located at the back and on top of the engine. That one is the EGR Valve, but it looks like a solenoid. I paid about $110 dollars for mine at a local parts store in Northern California.

Also referred to as the Emission Vacuum Control Valve.
OES-B7008-264626

AND also referred to as:

EGR Vacuum Controller $38.75 plus UPS ground shipping of $6.95 at this website:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...ontroller.html

This site has a picture of the item to be sure you are getting the right part.

THIS SAME WEBSITE has a picture which can be enlarged VALVE for $116.75 plus shipping minimum of $6.95.

I provide those 2 sites merely so you can see the products and be sure of which part you need.
In my opinion their prices are too high, so I researched the internet to find better prices.

Here's a website with an EGR VALVE for $90.79:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...a=FR903-4F1191

This page shows several available EGR valves, but the one on the second row for $50.99 appears correct to me and this is available from Advance Auto Parts if you have them in your area. Just be sure that the holes line up correctly and the base is correct to fit on yours.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/1995+mit...Search=FIND+IT

Please let me know through the forum if this helps you and if you got the part ordered or you picked it up at a local store.

You just need to do a lot of searching on the internet to find the right part WITH A PICTURE to be sure you're getting the right one.

Quick Reply: Trouble Code P-0403--'96 Montero SR 3.5