Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Using the 4wd lever Properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Red face Using the 4wd lever Properly

Hi guys! Im new here, just bought a Montero 1998 2.8tdi
As this is my first Mitsubishi i have a Problem on using the 4wd system, i mean shifting the lever, engaging Centre Diff lock and etc..can anybody plz help me out .
Thank you

Old 07-11-2013, 06:47 AM

If you are unable to get the shifter to move again, however, it may be a catastrophic failure, or the shift forks are frozen inside the transfer case, the unit will need to come out and be disassembled for further inspection to see the extent of the damage, whether it is just something stuck or if there was a failure in the box that jammed things up. Before jumping to any conclusions about the integrity of the transfer case, pull the console and unbolt the level from the case and lubricate everything well and try working it back and forth for a bit. The majority of the time though you will find the shifter just binding up and needing lubrication.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Well thank u Jeff.. Itz really usefull. At the mean time i need to knw ge da 4wd system works. I mean shifting from 2h to 4h and the indication lights on da meter Panel.. And the correct method to engage C.Diff lock .. Etc ..

Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 AM

well. you could try highschool, and while you're there learning english, find some guys who are into 4x4ing and they'll let you know.

1) don't put it in 4wd unless you have to
2) dont lock the diff unless you got it stuck in 4wd.
3) you sound like you really, really, shouldn't be doing either of those things.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by malikrausdeen@yahoo.com
Hi guys! Im new here, just bought a Montero 1998 2.8tdi
As this is my first Mitsubishi i have a Problem on using the 4wd system, i mean shifting the lever, engaging Centre Diff lock and etc..can anybody plz help me out .
Thank you
I'm not sure if the '98 Mitsubishi Montero GLS 2.8 tdi you have is operated the same as mine, 98 Sport XLS. But I'll tell you how I do mine.

When shifting into any 4WD position, 2H, 4H and 4L, I put the truck in neautral first if in motion. From there I move into others if needed, usually 4H does the trick. Shifting out while in motion is ok. Diff Lock or R/D Lock is used when stuck in mud, snow or such similar condition, only available in 4WD options. This sets both rear wheel to spin at the same speed.

Not a good idea to have this set when cornering.