Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Vendors Reference Requested

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Default Vendors Reference Requested

Aloha, I'm new to the world of SUVs in general and Mitsubishis specifically. All my previous cars were either fast imports or fast domestics cars. Due to certain situations in my life, I'm now 'stuck' with a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport as a 'company car' to do Sam's Club runs for our shop locations, but I've been given permission by my boss to go ahead and personalize it if desired. It's a 2WD vehicle with what appears to be a 3.0 V6. I'm still learning about the truck.

What I would like to know is:

1) What other cars/trucks does the '02 Montero Sport share it's 3.0 V6 engine with. I'm looking for performance upgrade options. Same thing with the automatic transmission and rear axle.

2) Who do you recommend for aftermarket performance upgrades for the truck's suspension, engine and drivetrain? I'm looking for more low end torque for better acceleration from stop, but as it's a company vehicle I dont want to go too deep into the engine. I'm thinking K&N cold air intake, MSD ignition, and see if there's a true dual exhaust available for this thing that wont upset the OBD2 computer. I'm guessing that there's not much else, right? I'm also looking specifically for any transmission kits out for improving shifts and durability and is there such thing as a posi (preferably a gear-type) for the rear axle like true-trac?

3) I'm also looking for a body kit and hood for this vehicle. It must work well with 22" wheels and maybe a minor lowering job (IF it wont interfere with it's performance as a heavy hauler from Sam's Club). I've already found Extreme Dimensions' Shogun body kit, but not really interested in it. It's a bit too tame and want something a bit more bold without being tacky. I've as yet to find a hood and grille for this truck too.

4) Any links to good aftermarket support for this vehicle is appreciated.

I've spent the last 3 hours searching the 'net and have not found much. Please help! Mahalo much!

-Lan

Old 09-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Default RE: Vendors Reference Requested

you lucky bastard they already have performance upgrades for the 3.0 sprt...if u had a 3.5 montero FULLSIZE ur screwd i had to custom make my own COLD air intak it wound up being a short ram intake......... lol u can get cold air kits and even NITROUS headers etc cant do much to the tranny as its an auto super chip it.....add HP....me personally NO BODY KIT!!!!!!!! im against them theyre too ricey jus lowering it is good enough but if u want go aheadhood is ok and 22 inch rim are the boarder line for me but if u have exellent tatse go for it post some pics too but i also dont reccomend a body kit if ur gonna haul stuff......my favorite site to get stuff is http://www.andysautosport.com/ jus click the lil mitsu sign on the far right and scrool down...if it ain here....look in auto zone advanced auto and detail shops....orrrrrr it dont exist

Old 09-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the pointers, pjmontero98. Guess it's one of those RARE times where I'd be glad I have the smaller engine! Cold air kits, yes, I'd go for that. Nitrous, I think I'll pass, I'm not as hardcore racing as I used to be, plus it's really hard on the engine internals. As a company vehicle, I need to make sure it last the long haul (pun unintended). But at the same time, I have permission to upgrade it's cosmetics and aesthetics. Ok, the rest of the post is just random thinking on the monty sport. I welcome any responses on them...

With improved power and efficiency (which should also net a small gain in mpg economy) in mind, cold air intake and an exhaust system is in the planing. I'm hoping K&N or someone have a cold air intake system. I'm also hoping that there is a free-flowing (but not necessarily loud) true dual exhaust system out there, preferably with crossovers and Flowmaster mufflers. Ok, I'll also look into superchips. I know that some of the newer models of cars and trucks have electronically controlled speedos which could be adjusted by chipping, flashing or some other electronic methods. Is the '02 Montero Sport one of these models?

Is there a shift kit, maybe from B&M or others, available for the Monty Sport's automatic tranny? Does B&M or others have a ratcheting shifter that's compatible with the OE auto tranny? I'll look later tonite, when I finish work.

I don't mind body kits, it helps differentiate my vehicle from the dirty dozens I see on the street. I just dont like overly done tacky stuffs that could be found on some import rice racers. Some of those things look like it could swallow an elephant on the road! However, if you were to tone those down QUITE a bit, maybe I'd be interested. Hmm, looks like about the only option I have is this Shogun body kit or it's clones from other companies. Sigh, while it's 'ok,' the lower front bumper treatment is not quite what I was looking for. Maybe I'll consider the Extreme Dimensions' clone which is made out of 'dura-flex,' which is supposed to be both durable and flexible. I'm wondering whether it remains true after extended periods of exposure to tropical sun (I'm in Hawai'i). Hopefully it'd do in the double duty of aesthetics and workaholics.

Ok, I made a boo-boo. The rims I am going to use already came with the vehicle. It's a set of Lexani 20", not 22". They are currently running Goodyear GT II in the 285/50-20 size. As these are slightly larger (31.2" as opposed to stock 30.1" overall diameter) I expect the speedo to read a bit slower (will have to calculate how much, later), supposedly a bit better acceleration due to greater leverage BUT as it's also significantly heavier the overall acceleration will probably be less. Plus, I expect a bit poorer gas mileage due to the wheel/tire package being heavy too. Oh well, so much for appearance, huh? :] While I'd prefer 285/45-20, which would put the tire diameter at OE size, I found only 1 tire from Yoko that's quite expensive (nearly $250 a pop), there's quite literally dozens of tires at 285/50-20 that ranges from just over $100 to $300 a doughnut. If I eliminate the lower performance tires (everything at H rating and High Performance down) I've narrowed the field to just 4 tires:

1) Continental CrossContact (UHP) $163 116W 420 AA A
2) General Grabber (UHP) $124 112V 320 A A
3) Kumho Ecsta ST $123 112V 420 A A
4) Yokohama Parada Spec-X $139 112V 420 A A

Based on the survey results on #2 and #3, I can eliminate #3 due to noise and quality concerns. Between #2 and #4, they're so similar in most specs and results that I eliminated #2 purely on the lower UTOQ rating. Between #1 and #4, I had a difficult time choosing between the two. I know Yokos, they tend to be quite good. Continental, I don't know them all that well, but based on the specs AND the survey results, plus Tire Rack's own review, I think I'll give the Continentals a chance this time. I'll also say that the Yokos appear to be a close second, despite of the lower service and temperature ratings.

Well, it's time for me to go to spend work time in the monty. Cya laters.
-Lance

Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM

I just dont like overly done tacky stuffs that could be found on some import rice racers.
o thank god!!!![sm=thanx.gif] THE BODY KIT SHOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM ITS CONSTANT EXPOSURE TO THE SAME CLIMATE....in NY its hard cause of dramatic temp changes from season to season...im not sure if u can do ANYTHING with an auto tranny but that'd be something for u to look up....i only know about manual tranny mods
I know that some of the newer models of cars and trucks have electronically controlled speedos which could be adjusted by chipping, flashing or some other electronic methods. Is the '02 Montero Sport one of these models?
never even herd of such a thing....what i do is try and get similar rim and tire size...im puttin a set of 06-07 toyota 4 runner rims on my full size..and with the Speedometer and bigger tires....u need to adjust that as well to avoid a ticket but i dont think it can be done with that wierd method to stay safe id proffesionally get it done..and post pics of what u do to it....im getting anxious about wanting to see the end result.... post soon and have fun with it

Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 AM

Well, temperature is but one of the climate variables. The others that is more pertinent to Hawai'i concerns are humidity and salinity of the air. We're surrounded by the world's largest source of humidity and salinity: the ocean. These combined causes lots of material corrosion (rust in steel, tarnish in silver and copper/brass, that chalky residue on old paint and platics, etc.).

In the domestic market, the auto transmissions' characteristics could be changed either by changing the one or more of the internal components, or in the case of newer electronically controlled transmission, via electronics (either add-ons or reprogramming the OE equipment). Btw, the electronics method was largely pioneered by the Import Market in the early days (mid- to late-80s) since they embraced electronic transmissions nearly a decade before the Domestic Markets switched to e-trannys (late-80s to mid-90s).

The newer electric speedos can modified in similar ways. Direct modification of either the step motor driving the speedo dial or the gauge face. Or modifying the signal reaching the speedometer. This can be done either at the computer or at the source, the speedo gear on the transmission. Again the modification of the signal could be achieved either by modifying the signal itself or by modifying the signal's source. The simplest easiest way is to simply intercept the signal itself and modify it to your needs. This also often have the advantage of being easily changed again (either by changing modules or via use of a remote control device or laptop computer) when you make changes to either the final gearing or tire sizes. This method is popular with the drag racing crowd who could have more than 2 different sets of rollers to play with. I used to have as many as 3-4 different sets of tires/wheels of different sizes and types for use under different track conditions.

Yeah, I know what ya mean. With 20s and assuming 255/70-16 being the stock size, the ideal tire size for 20" rims is 285/45-20. However, I've noticed that it's a rare, oddball size in the 20" range. I've found only one tire that is offered in that size at www.TireRack.com for nearly $250/tire! However, 285/50-20 is a MUCH more common tire size as I found literally dozens in this size range for much larger range of prices (<$100 to >$350) at TireRack. Of course, 285/50-20 is of larger overall diameter than 255/70-16's size. Which means that the speedo would be off a bit. How much depends on the actual tire size compared to the OE tire size. There's a formula you can use to calculate the change. I once had use that formula to guessimate how fast I was going, knowing tire size, final gearing, all tranny gearings and engine speed because the speedo died during a road trip.

Hmmm, it's my post is getting awfully long, so I'm going to cut it short at this point.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 AM

if i want different rims i just paint mine...mine are gettin corroded they are stock (never touched) so i need to replace or repair them....and awsome...i learn something new

Old 09-07-2007, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: jpmontero98
if i want different rims i just paint mine...mine are gettin corroded they are stock (never touched) so i need to replace or repair them....and awsome...i learn something new
Yup, since 20's are quite expensive, I'll just reuse the current rims. Some are a bit corroded and/or pitted. I've had some good results with painting. In the past I've used this 3-step paint set that results in a set of black rims that has a iridescent/opalescent shimmer. It's really nice, altho I use the shiny effect very sparing (about 30-40% of what the instructions use). If you want to find out more about it, I can go and find what it was again and see if it's still available. (I hope it is, as it's one of those few spray can paints that actually worked!)

Another paint effect I think I would try next time is this new breed of chrome-effect paint. Some of these paints actually have microscopic sized particles of aluminum or chrome metal in such quantity levels that when painted on, it looks like the real aluminum or chrome! Here's one of such urls:

Chrome Cars - Mirror Paint - Chrome Paint

Mind you, it's just an example site. I am not endorsing this one cuz I havent tried it myself yet. I bookmarked it myself because I ran across it while researching something else and did not want to interrupt my research.

Ok, time to go to work. Cyas
-Lan

Old 09-07-2007, 05:20 PM

c ya and i jus paint em colors...at my schools body shop (im takin auto body) i sanded bondo prime and pated the rim red and the center black with chrome center caps...stock toyota 4runner rims...i could have put them on mny monty

Old 09-08-2007, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: jpmontero98

c ya and i jus paint em colors...at my schools body shop (im takin auto body) i sanded bondo prime and pated the rim red and the center black with chrome center caps...stock toyota 4runner rims...i could have put them on mny monty
Stock toyota 4runner rims fits the Montero Sport? Cool, that broadens my rim options some. Yup, some of the corrosion and dings on the rims is pretty bad, luckily most of the damage seems to be limited to the spokes of the wheels. I'm thinking of repolishing the lips and retain the chrome finish (if possible). Then I'll prep and paint the centers the opalescent blacks. Still looking whether it's still available.

Ok, just did a net search. It's Duplicolor's 3-stage Mirage series paint. I used the Purple/Green paint with good results. Hmm, they have a new Ice paint that reminds me of the pearly whites Ford and Nissan sometimes use. Very nice. Here's a copy of their color samples of the Purple/Green and the Ice.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14104/5F447618646841AA8E1657A127397785.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14104/7BB935659E6F4EE992932351169CFD7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2007, 04:10 PM

the ice looks good...choose somthin that goes good with the cars body.....the green/purple id go for......and yea im sure any 6 lug rim can fit on a monty....i test fitted some on mine no problem

Quick Reply: Vendors Reference Requested