Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

What kind of transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Default What kind of transmission fluid?

I have 2002 Montero LTD... I just want to know if i can buy a transmission fluid from a regular auto store(Pepboys etc...) and what type or brand should i get. Thanks...

Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Default RE: What kind of transmission fluid?

No, no, no!

Do not buy "compatible" aftermarket fluid. You will be spending a dollar to save a dime.

You need Mitsubishi Diamond SPIII ATF, available from your local Mitsu dealer. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, and they will try. Remember the old saying, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later". And no, I don't work for Mitsu.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 PM

I do work for mitsu.

and hes right. Use ONLY mitsu fluid.
Period.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 PM

Dang- I just had my trans fluid changed at a local kiwk lube- I haver no idea what fluid they put in. I better call and check.
-Cash

Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 PM

I too have a 2002 montero limited. Im going to do a drain and fill on the tranny. How much will I need to do a drain and fill?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Now i know. Thanks a lot guys...

Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 PM

the aftermarket fluid can damage the trans. factory fluid has a friction additive that helps the trans not to shudder when lockup applies. i have replaced several torque converters due to this mistake. if you dont change the fluid on a regular basis, the contaminated fluid can also damage the trans, mainly you will feel a bad shudder when driving down the road when lockup applies. use the mitsubishi spf fluid!!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM

i messed up and let my montero to run on montero oil thats aftermarket, and now im paying the price of trying to fix my tranny.

and if anyone can help, please let me know lol

Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM

I was told by the mitsu dealer in phoenix that I could use hyndi splll in my 97 monty. was that wrong? I dont have a dealer within 150 miles of here.. so.I took it that he knew what he was talking about.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rontopia
I was told by the mitsu dealer in phoenix that I could use hyndi splll in my 97 monty. was that wrong? I dont have a dealer within 150 miles of here.. so.I took it that he knew what he was talking about.
in all honesty, just order it off the internet, better to be safe then sorry. you dont want to deal with a tranny overhaul, like i am right now.

Quick Reply: What kind of transmission fluid?