Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

"could not record" error message in NAV

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Default "could not record" error message in NAV

Yesterday about 5 km away from my destination, I noticed "could not record" message on the bottom screen of my NAV display (same spot where the street name appears). The turn by turn messages is still working...

So I thought maybe a restart would fix it but it didnt, I still have this message popping up about every 5 seconds and would stay on for about 2 seconds...

Have any of you ever experienced this on your Nav system?

I have the Canadian '07 XLS w/ NAV package btw.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Default RE: "could not record" error message in NAV

2 ideas. It sounds like out of memeory possibly and the only two things that record to memory are the Vehicle position and the mp3 files

1: Do you have the record vehicle position option in the GPS settings turned on? If it has been always been on, in theory it has been recording data to the hard drive from the day you got it. Shouldn't be 10gb worth or however much they have partitioned for the Nav system. Try clearing the vehicle position dataand turning it off.

2: You have used up all the free space for your MP3 files. Did you have a cd in and recording while getting this message? If it is that, you may need to delete some music files.

If it is not that, then I'm stumped. (which is easly accomplished)

Old 08-07-2007, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Fisherman

2 ideas. It sounds like out of memeory possibly and the only two things that record to memory are the Vehicle position and the mp3 files

1: Do you have the record vehicle position option in the GPS settings turned on? If it has been always been on, in theory it has been recording data to the hard drive from the day you got it. Shouldn't be 10gb worth or however much they have partitioned for the Nav system. Try clearing the vehicle position dataand turning it off.

2: You have used up all the free space for your MP3 files. Did you have a cd in and recording while getting this message? If it is that, you may need to delete some music files.

If it is not that, then I'm stumped. (which is easly accomplished)

Twovery good and valid points!
I was recording a CD at that time and If can remember it, the recording didnt finish (which was weird because it doesnt take long to record the a CD). I also have to check on the GPS vehicle position to see if it is turned on.

thanks!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM

it turns out the MP3 partition was full. i only have 25 CDs recorded in there... i thought i could put more than that.... that sucks.

i also turned off the GPS vehicle tracking.

thanks for the advice, fish!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:08 AM

Idea #3

No way you are full with 25 discs. You have 10Gb of mp3 space. I have over 50 in mine and I am just getting started. I have several hundred CDs on my Phatnoise system in my VW and it is just now at 10Gb. I do get to choose the encoding rate and I use 128, but I can't believe Mitsu is using much higher. Anyway....my third thought. Scratched or damaged CD. I had one that I got a similar message with and it was due to the CD being damaged. Try another CD.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Heres a stupid thought since I dont own the nav system. But Ill throw it out there anyway.

actual Cds = takes up a lot of memory because theyre not encoded as mp3

Mp3= doesnt take up a lot of space when they are given to the system as Mp3s

Does the nav system rip from Cd and convert to Mp3 to save space? Dont know because I dont have a manual to look at right now.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

Heres a stupid thought since I dont own the nav system. But Ill throw it out there anyway.

actual Cds = takes up a lot of memory because theyre not encoded as mp3

Mp3= doesnt take up a lot of space when they are given to the system as Mp3s

Does the nav system rip from Cd and convert to Mp3 to save space? Dont know because I dont have a manual to look at right now.
CD Audio is ripped to the MMCS HD in a proprietary MP3 format, and no, the MMCS doesn't rip from MP3 Data CD to MP3 on the MMCS HD.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 AM

Idea #3

No way you are full with 25 discs. You have 10Gb of mp3 space. I have over 50 in mine and I am just getting started. I have several hundred CDs on my Phatnoise system in my VW and it is just now at 10Gb. I do get to choose the encoding rate and I use 128, but I can't believe Mitsu is using much higher. Anyway....my third thought. Scratched or damaged CD. I had one that I got a similar message with and it was due to the CD being damaged. Try another CD.
hmmm.... i'll try and record more cd's... as for the cd that i was recording when i got the message, it plays all the way through... so, i'm not sure if the disc is damaged since i can listen to all the tracks.

looks like this one needs more investigation....

Old 08-12-2007, 10:02 PM

Yet another thought. Data Track. Does anyone know how the system handles data tracks? You know...the ones that make you cd launch some fancy smancy standalone application when the disc is put in a computer.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 AM

Yet another thought. Data Track. Does anyone know how the system handles data tracks? You know...the ones that make you cd launch some fancy smancy standalone application when the disc is put in a computer.
It'll still be read as a regular CD, as what would happen if you put a CD-Extra in a regular Radio-CD player