Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

04 Outlander will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Default 04 Outlander will not idle

2004 Outlander. 135k miles. Runs great, except won't always idle. I have no CEL code for anything related to this. Only TCC solenoid code. I was thinking, the IAC valve, but I can't find it on the car, or find a new one, for any year except the 2003.. I believe in 2004 they went to the electronic throttle, that mine has. Maybe that has something to do with it? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM

No help at all? I can't be the only one to come by this issue.....

Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 PM

I have a 2005 Outlander XLS, that has a fast idle problems, when I contacted the dealer they told me this vehicle does not have an IAC valve, as it's part of the throttle body, which is VERY expensive in Canada ($1645.00), but after a little more research, mine could be the throttle position sensor that's location on the large spring assembly under the hood on the passenger side.
The throttle body is a lot cheaper online.
Brian

Old 07-15-2014, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Brian! I was wondering, if it may have something to do with the TPS. My OBDII scanner can run diagnostics while the vehicle runs. Cold was fine, but once the engine was warm, at stop lights the TPS reading would get down to 1.6%. That's when the idle would get rough. But, of coarse, it never died on me. Only on my wife... which really impresses her.. lol. It will be fine for a week, then not want to idle at all. If you let it sit it will be fine again. Makes me think its the sensor.... Thanks again Brian! Your help is much appreciated!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 PM

I had the same problem, What worked for me was the exhaust had leaks in it. I replaced the rivets with bolts and wala wonderful now. Just get on a creeper with the truck running n listen for the noise. Mine was right by an ox. sensor so I think that was the problem..good luck dude.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:21 PM

I do actually have a small exhaust leak, progressively getting worse. It's on the flex-pipe up front, so it must be close to an O2 sensor... Never really thought of that being the culprit, but I've seen stranger things.. Usually, I hate when the CEL comes on, but it would be kind of handy right now to get a code, to lead me in the right direction.... Thanks guys!

Old 07-18-2014, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wifes04Outlander
Thanks for the reply Brian! I was wondering, if it may have something to do with the TPS. My OBDII scanner can run diagnostics while the vehicle runs. Cold was fine, but once the engine was warm, at stop lights the TPS reading would get down to 1.6%. That's when the idle would get rough. But, of coarse, it never died on me. Only on my wife... which really impresses her.. lol. It will be fine for a week, then not want to idle at all. If you let it sit it will be fine again. Makes me think its the sensor.... Thanks again Brian! Your help is much appreciated!
Hi again,
Just to let you know, I cleaned the large spring I was talking about, that has the throttle position sensor attached with BRAKE CLEANER spray, it cleans all residue and evaporates quickly, it cleaned it really well, I also cleaned the tip of the throttle cable that attaches to the spring assembly, and today all appeared to be okay (no high idle), but time will tell.
I have not yet cleaned the sensor, just the spring and cable end.

Brian

Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Brian, That would be great if that fixed your problem. Hope for the best! Keep us posted.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Default Try to Clean throttle body

It happened with me. You might want to try to clean throttle body. In my case, The flipper cannot close completely and the computer tried to adjust the idle.

Hope it helps.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by althai2000
It happened with me. You might want to try to clean throttle body. In my case, The flipper cannot close completely and the computer tried to adjust the idle.

Hope it helps.
I agree with this, maybe the first thing to try, it's an easy job but make sure you use a throttle body cleaner, (CRC makes one).
After cleaning my spring assembly and cable over a week ago all is still working well.
Good luck.

Brian

Quick Reply: 04 Outlander will not idle