Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

'09 Outlander wouldn't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Default '09 Outlander wouldn't start

Hey all,

So I have a '09 Outlander V6 with 36000KM on it. I moved the truck earlier in the day, and went to move it again about 3 hours later. I turned the "key" and it won't turn over - it alomst did, then died. I popped the hood and had the gf try it again. THe engine was torquing but it wouldn't catch, yet I can't say it was making the famous RRR RRR RRR sound. NEver smelled anything funny and no warning lights

After a few times, she pumped the gas and then tried it, and it finally caught and all was fine.

Any idea what that might be? Is that a starter issue?

like I said, it worked fine earlier in the day but all of a sudden, nothing.

Ideas? Thanks!!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Have you had the battery tested recently? Sounds like its not providing enough power to start the engine.
The gas pedal is not physically connected to anything except the ECU, which doesn't even read from it when the car is off. So pumping the gas pedal does absolutely nothing. Pressing it while turning the car on gives the ECU a suggestion to use more fuel, which can make it even harder to start the engine if its a battery issue because it will need to crank more.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Have you had the battery tested recently? Sounds like its not providing enough power to start the engine.
The gas pedal is not physically connected to anything except the ECU, which doesn't even read from it when the car is off. So pumping the gas pedal does absolutely nothing. Pressing it while turning the car on gives the ECU a suggestion to use more fuel, which can make it even harder to start the engine if its a battery issue because it will need to crank more.
I haven't had the battery tested, but it has only done it thaat once. I tried a few times later that day and it was fine. WE had the oil changed recently and I know the starter is right under something to do with the oil (2 mechanics have commented on that). could a small oil leak be messing with the starter?

So far, it just seems to be an isolated incident, but still odd.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Maybe somebody left a light on or something? I guess an OBD II code reader might be able to tell you if an actual issue occurred...
Its possible, that you could have issues with any number of things. Best to have the dealer look at it since its still under warranty.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 AM

isn't this your second 2nd-gen Outlander?? Might want to try something else...the force isn't with you my friend! :P

Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
isn't this your second 2nd-gen Outlander?? Might want to try something else...the force isn't with you my friend! :P
Haha, nope. The is our first one - bought the '09 in October of 2009.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM

oh, must have been thinking of someone else then!