Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

11 Outlander Sport won't start on first try! Help!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM

While calling may be useful, writing letters is much better, especially if something has to go to arbitration with MMNA, small claims court or the like.

I just had my 2nd experience with the no start on extended crank condition yesterday when leaving work. I was using my alternate / spare mitsubishi key with nothing (even a keyring) attached. As a note I have an '11 ES CVT, no FAST key. What was common to both times I experienced this very annoying condition was that I turned the key from "off" to "start" probably in less than half a second. As soon I had cranked for about three seconds with no indication that the engine had spark / was firing I stopped. I then turned the key to "off," waited about 10 seconds and then turned it to the "on" position, waited about 10 seconds and then turned to "start" - the engine fired up normally, with less than two seconds of cranking.

I usually start my car as if it's an old diesel (I know that could be considered unnecessary in our modern world but that's how I roll since I'm the Gray Ghost). I'll turn the key to "on," wait for the fuel pump to run and stop, the warning lights in the dash to illuminate, etc. Then I'll turn the key to "start" to crank and the car has always started that way without issue.

Now before anyone possibly gets excited about this, let me clearly state that I am presenting this only as something for people to TRY when they experience the no start on extended crank to see if they can replicate what I'm experiencing, and most importantly to get the bloody car to start so no one is stranded.

If we as a group are lucky enough to isolate what the conditions are, we may have better luck working with our dealers and/or MMNA on this.

GG

Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Default have same issue

well i did not think much of it, but about 3 times this did happen to me. my 2011 mit outlander sport at about 10k, would not start the first time but fired right up 2nd time. i have a jl w7 in the back i though i could be that draining to much power cause my lights dim and car idles really bad when the radio is cranking. i just ordered two kinetik batterys on for under the hood and a small one near the amp. we will see. i used to have a nasty knock noise when i would do a hard reverse turn but its gone now

Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM

Any luck 11Outlander. The dealer still has our Outlander. Been there since Wed.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 PM

I've had this happen to me several times as well... I notice that every time this has happened my fuel level was 1/4 full.... I thought it was a fuel issue... but its always started the second try... So I havent thought much about it... Just kinda embarassing if you have the Fast Key System because you will just be sitting there cranking

Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM

2011 with fast key. Happened day 1. Happens every 2 months or so. I think the ecu is not signaling for fuel. 7800 miles it's happened about 8 times that I've noticed when not using remote start.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Called my dealer and he said bring it by. Real quick. Have a hunch he knows something already. Keep ya posted

Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Another thought, maybe I'll get that 2012 reflash I asked for on day one!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM

Now that people mention it, it has happened to me also, about three or four times. I've had it not start once, started right up on the second try. The other times, the ignition cranked for a long time (around five seconds) and caught on at the last second. I attributed those to fuel impurities.

I have started the car about 800 times since I've purchased it almost a year ago. I still think 0.5% is somewhat high. All other times, I just jump in, press the brake and hit the button and it fires right up in about a second.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 PM

Goes in to the shop in the AM. I will make mention that this forum has a growing list of folks in the same boat.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Got the car back. The service writer told me "it took a reflash".

I have no way of confirming this because I dont know who to pull that info from the car and I have no ticket because the Mitsu warranty writer was out so I have no idea if they did anything. I figured they probably just applied the extreme cold reflash that has been out for a couple of months. I did get it back with a full tank of gas!

I dunno...

Ill update as soon as I have some more info.

Any way to easily find the ECU software version?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 11 Outlander Sport won't start on first try! Help!