Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2003 Outlander awd evap problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Default 2003 Outlander awd evap problem

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has fixed an evap problem on their mitsubishi?

I have a 2003 outlander with the 4g64 engine with a check engine light on for the evap system P0442 (evap small leak). I put the car on the lift did a pressure check on the gas neck (about 5lbs) and found it was leaking out somewhere. I found a few rusty lines which I replaced with new rubber and new metal lines. The major leak I found was on a plastic "T" above the gas tank. I got the back seat off and found I needed to either drop the tank or cut a hole in the between the 2 access panels to the 2 fuel pumps. I just cut the hole to access the T, put plastic epoxy on it and the evap lines weren't leaking above the tank anymore.

I have no idea where to go from here, I was able to drive it for 120 miles until it came back on again

My plan is to fix it, get it inspected, sell it, then buy a 2005 LS awd outlander with a manual transmission from down south (a lot less rust and m/t is more fun to drive)

Thanks guys.

-I put grease on the gas cap around the o-ring also. I have a new OEM one on the way from the mitsubishi dealership.
-It fills up with gas fine (full blast at the pump) without clicking off, so the canister is not full of gas.
-The fill neck is rusty but I'm not thinking it's the culprit as it's not half as bad as what I replaced already (could be wrong).
-The VCV valve seems to be working okay (sounds fine, can unplug and plug back in while running and it starts ticking right away).
-Have not checked the pcv valve...
-Runs great of course.

Looking for some suggestions or a part number for the evap purge solenoid.